ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Divided Attention Disorder? Log off and read a book

(1/3) > >>

app103:
If you work in an office it's quite possible that you suffer from a condition called DAD. Now don't panic it's not serious and nothing a good book or a long walk won't cure.

My Internet browser has 24 tabs open. Among them are three separate attempts to reply to the same e-mail. My online banking session has timed out, and in the corner of my screen a Twitter feed is a never-ending scroll of news and links. Which I click. And click.

What's wrong with me?

What's wrong, is that I may have Divided Attention Disorder, or DAD. DAD encapsulates the growing phenomenon whereby the constant stream of online information could actually be changing the way our brains work.
--- End quote ---

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12406677

40hz:
I have six tabs open on my browser right now - and I'm also reading a (paper) book.

Does that mean there's no longer any hope for me Doc?  :huh:

timns:
I actually like working like that. I do quite a bit of support, and during the day one of my activities is triage.

When a request comes in it's either:

Do it now! (do it now)
Do today (so I hit reply, minimize and leave the email window on my taskbar)
Do tomorrow or later (so it goes into the CRM queue)

So I get quite a hefty build-up of email tabs and various browser tabs etc. for research. As I complete each one, I close everything related to it, which is very satisfying.

At the end of the day, I know that I'm all done when my taskbar is empty again.

f0dder:
Oh, how I long for FF4 with Panorama. Yeah, 100 tabs open - but only 5 of them visible.

40hz:
At the end of the day, I know that I'm all done when my taskbar is empty again.
-timns (February 09, 2011, 04:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a pretty cool way to look at it actually...

Like it! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version