ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

CPU Question: More Mhz per core or more cores?

<< < (2/10) > >>

Shades:
Is she all the time busy with Photoshop/photography or just the basics? To me it sounds that the basics take more of her time than the other part. As AMD processors are most of the time quite a lot cheaper while not that lacking in computational power, I would go for the AMD and spend the money you save on item(s) she can use with her photographing/photoshop hobby. With the saved money I would max out the system RAM as much as possible, that helps tremendously with processing of photo's / video's.

40hz:
A general rule of thumb is that most software is at least a year behind in using the capabilities of the silicone it runs on.-40hz (February 09, 2011, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
If it's running on silicone, I sure as hell hope it's dual-core and nothing else - neither single nor quad :)
-f0dder (February 09, 2011, 02:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently that one "slipped" by me and the spellcheck - since it was the wrong word - but not misspelled.

Good catch!

(Only you f-man...only you.  ;D :Thmbsup:)

JavaJones:
I'd recommend Sandy Bridge Intel over AMD for that kind of work in a heartbeat, if it weren't for the chipset issue 40hz mentioned. :( If she needs a system *now*, either buy previous generation i7/i5 or go AMD. But more than 4 cores is not going to help a lot with most of Photoshop, I speak from experience (I have an i7 920 and Photoshop doesn't even take full advantage of that 99% of the time). In fact, with large images, disk access can often be as much or more of a bottleneck than baseline CPU processing, not to mention RAM, get lots of RAM.

- Oshyan

Deozaan:
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The system is already getting 8 or 16 GiB of RAM, so there's plenty of that to go around. After reading the anandtech article quoted earlier by 40hz I'm convinced that Sandy Bridge will be my next processor, but I'm not sure if that's what my sister will end up getting.

Sadly at this point I've mostly lost interest in trying to build her a system, because she doesn't know the difference between the components but I keep hearing (second-hand or perhaps third-hand) from her brother-in-law that the machine I'm trying to build her is inferior to the machine he would get her, yet I've not seen any specs of what he's offering to get her. Meanwhile I keep revising my build and submitting the list of specs for review. Without anything to go on besides general information (Intel 4 Core, 8 GiB RAM) I don't have a reference point to compare prices and specs so I think I'll bow this one out.

Again, thanks for your feedback. It's been useful either way.

f0dder:
16 gigs of RAM? O_o

That sounds like massive overkill, unless she's doing really wacko things. My current camera is 12.1mpix, producing images in 4000x3000 pixels resolution - that's less than 50 megs of raw data per image, considering RGB+Alpha with 8bit channels... of course editing has undo/redo overhead etc, and you'll often want multiple concurrent images open - but 16 gigabytes? I sure do hope whoever is setting up the machine makes sure it'll be running a 64bit version of fåddåsjåp :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version