ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is my computer hiccuping every few seconds?

(1/12) > >>

superboyac:
I had this problem once before, and the culprit was Spy Sweeper, which I uninstalled and never looked back.  Now, with my new Winows 7 installation, I'm getting the hiccuping regularly every few seconds again.  Everything stops for a millisecond, and the goes on.  I notice it most clearly when I am scrolling down a webpage, and the scrolling pauses a little bit.  How can I identify the problem?

I tried using Process Explorer, but I can't figure out how to use it to help me here.  This is the only visual from there that shows my problem:

4wd:
You could try running the Resource Monitor, (perfmon.exe /res), and see if there is any annomalies in Disk Response time, which might give you a process and/or file to look at.

Why is my computer hiccuping every few seconds?

Also ensure you're running the latest motherboard drivers and check to see if there is a later motherboard BIOS.

superboyac:
Thanks.
What is the difference in all of these things?  Resource Monitor, Task Manager, Process Explorer...I don't get it.

superboyac:
Interesting...I didn't think I had Windows Defender installed, but it is.  Furthermore, it is disabled, yet the process MsMpEng.exe is on with 34 threads going.  I looked it up and that exe is attributed to Windows Defender.  I checked again, and yes, it is disabled, so I don't get it.  i do have Microsoft Security Essentials, but that shouldn't include Defender, does it?

superboyac:
Well, Firefox is definitely involved with this somehow.  The peaks on the disk activity match up exactly with the firefox.exe.  Now the question is what is making firefox hiccup?  i doubt it's actually firefox itself, but maybe I'm wrong.  I'm sure it's something that interacts with it.  In the disk activity window, it shows 5 firefox lines, 4 of them are the session restore exe.  I'm turning it off now to see if that does it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version