ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Let's face it: the ebook market is FUBAR, thanks to pure greed

<< < (13/16) > >>

johnk:
...err yeah, I know you added the Apple situation already but I just can't consider that the bigger issue in light of other err...bigger issues.
-Paul Keith (February 07, 2011, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

So what is the bigger issue? I think the closed OS (iOS) is a bigger issue than the price of ebooks, because the only way you can legally control prices long-term is with closed systems. But ultimately, I guess, if iOS became a dominant force in the ebooks market, and Apple maintained its current stance, competition authorities would step in (in the EU, at least).

Some people seem very annoyed about this (ebook prices and DRM) but we all have freedom to make our choices. I don't like Apple's business methods so I don't buy Apple stuff. I did buy a Kindle because it's great bit of kit but I don't buy Kindle ebooks, I just use the Kindle as a document reader.

Amazon's sales statistics suggest that plenty of people are happy with the price of ebooks and they don't care about DRM. However, Apple's recent decision on demanding a fee from Amazon and others may cause some of those who are content with the current system to think again...

Paul Keith:
So what is the bigger issue?
--- End quote ---

I was referring to this:

Of course this only assumes those who believe in the market also believe that we exist in a free market... (with no government bail-outs/global plans to censor the internet/intentional worsening of depressions to temporary stave off a more noticeable recession...)

wraith808:
The acid test will be the day some major best-selling author does a book, and they announce it will only be available on Kindle. That will be the first warning that hardball is about to commence.

How the public reacts and (more importantly) buys will determine future publishing directions.

Just my two anyway. 8)

-40hz (February 07, 2011, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

<snip />

However, if I felt the Nook was going to get the last of a popular book, the completionist in me would prefer the Nook over any exclusive titles the Kindle may offer because I feel I must have at least invested in that series of books and willing to support the author to really get that final book barring things like Twilights and Harry Potters. On the other hand, if something was exclusive to the Kindle alone, I get the perception that the author must not be putting as much effort in that book and if it did eventually become popular - it will have a non-Kindle version.

<snip />
-Paul Keith (February 07, 2011, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's worth noting that the other outlets now have that book- it just took a few months.  I don't know what was behind that shift, as it wasn't as well publicized as the exclusivity.

(And on an unrelated note, I saw the series first, and absolutely loved it, so I can say that while the books are undisputedly better - I think most books are- that's not to say that the TV show wasn't good, just different.)

johnk:
So what is the bigger issue?
--- End quote ---

I was referring to this:

Of course this only assumes those who believe in the market also believe that we exist in a free market... (with no government bail-outs/global plans to censor the internet/intentional worsening of depressions to temporary stave off a more noticeable recession...)
-Paul Keith (February 07, 2011, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I see. Personally, I do not share those concerns. But for those who do, well, at least people can change a government on a regular basis (making the large assumption, of course, that people live in a stable democracy. For those who don't, the issues we're discussing here are the least of their concerns).

40hz:
Exactly where on this planet are you going to find a democracy if I may be so bold?

I didn't know any actually existed.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version