ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Let's face it: the ebook market is FUBAR, thanks to pure greed

<< < (8/16) > >>

johnk:
@40hz

I thought johnk was exaggerating but thanks for that wonderful post.
-Paul Keith (February 05, 2011, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I assure you I was not wilfully exaggerating. But neither can I quickly find a source for my numbers. I may be wrong. I'll work on it! However I think the essential point is true -- print costs are a very small part of the cost of a book. Authors frequently emphasise this point when discussing book prices with their readers. This article is instructive.

EDIT: For UK readers. Also bear in mind that you pay 20% VAT on top of the price of your ebooks. Printed books are VAT free. It's a significant element.

johnk:
For example, viewed from the comfort of my armchair here in the UK, American politics seems a very frightening beast. You have a right-wing party (the Democrats), an extreme right-wing party (Republicans) and another large political organisation (the Tea Party), for people for whom even the Republicans don't seem right-wing enough. Terrifying.-johnk (February 05, 2011, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's an interesting perspective. From my point of view, there's an extreme left-wing party (the Democrat party which has been overrun by the extreme-left "Progressives"), a moderate-to-left-leaning party (Republicans), and a bunch of people who have noticed that the Republicans, who are traditionally "supposed" to be right-wing, have moved so far left (so-called Tea Party-folk).-Deozaan (February 05, 2011, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

See? That's what I mean about the difficulty of using political terminology across boundaries.

This is using the modern, narrow definition of right-wing to mean the extent to which you accept state intervention in everyday life (through taxation, or regulation).-johnk (February 05, 2011, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Huh? Did I miss something? By your own definition, "Conservatives" (at least as I understand them in the U.S.) are not right-wing at all, as they generally want smaller government, less taxes, etc.
-Deozaan (February 05, 2011, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, my phrasing was just ambiguous. My intended definition was: the less you accept government intervention, the more "right-wing" you are.

Deozaan:
This is using the modern, narrow definition of right-wing to mean the extent to which you accept state intervention in everyday life (through taxation, or regulation).-johnk (February 05, 2011, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Huh? Did I miss something? By your own definition, "Conservatives" (at least as I understand them in the U.S.) are not right-wing at all, as they generally want smaller government, less taxes, etc.
-Deozaan (February 05, 2011, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, my phrasing was just ambiguous. My intended definition was: the less you accept government intervention, the more "right-wing" you are.-johnk (February 05, 2011, 03:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for clarifying that. It makes a lot more sense to me now.  :Thmbsup:

Paul Keith:
I assure you I was not wilfully exaggerating. But neither can I quickly find a source for my numbers. I may be wrong. I'll work on it! However I think the essential point is true -- print costs are a very small part of the cost of a book. Authors frequently emphasise this point when discussing book prices with their readers. This article is instructive.-johnk (February 05, 2011, 02:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, this was why I thought you were exaggerating. I wanted to add the "a bit" part but really I feel like we're talking small change as I hold the same conclusion 40hz has that things may get to the point - it's just not that clear cut yet.

There's also something "bubble-like" about modern day outsourcing. I just get that nag that it's much closer to African American slavery than wage slavery and think the whole cheap process could be derailed depending on which countries' economy make a revolution against the current way of min-maxing costs.

See? That's what I mean about the difficulty of using political terminology across boundaries.
--- End quote ---

To be fair, it's goes beyond borders. It's in-country, in-state, in-people, in-knowledge, in-bias.

Reminds me alot of the volatility between each person's interpretation of capitalism.

With that said:

No, my phrasing was just ambiguous. My intended definition was: the less you accept government intervention, the more "right-wing" you are.
--- End quote ---

Hmm... sounds like Libertarianism to me.  :P

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

Hmm... sounds like Libertarianism to me.  :P
-Paul Keith (February 05, 2011, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.  I think the poles are Libertarians are no govt influence, conservatives are no govt influence is business, govt influence in social, and libs are the reverse of conservatives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version