ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Let's face it: the ebook market is FUBAR, thanks to pure greed

<< < (2/16) > >>

zridling:
No, Nudone, you're not off-target because the analogy fits the topic: unmitigated GREED. I don't mind paying my water bill, but if tomorrow my city announced that water run to your house per cubic liter will now cost the same as bottled water, I'd rise up. In the US, we're used to getting pegged by drug companies. We even have a president who campaigned for cheaper drug importation, and then suddenly dropped the issue in his healthcare plan. Funny how things like that are dropped without a fight, as if to say, "Never mind. We're not talking about that anymore." I figure you could look toward every part of the economy and see something systemically broken.

zridling:
You might enjoy this film: (The Corporation.)-Renegade (February 04, 2011, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually I did watch this film on Youtube years ago and I was shocked. When I did mention to friends or family, I was treated as a kook. But right there, you have CEOs and everyone else describing in great detail how they gamed the system, rigged prices, ripped off and injured people -- purposefully -- without consequence. My forehead was sore for a month from banging it against the desk so hard.

Renegade:
You might enjoy this film: (The Corporation.)-Renegade (February 04, 2011, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually I did watch this film on Youtube years ago and I was shocked. When I did mention to friends or family, I was treated as a kook. But right there, you have CEOs and everyone else describing in great detail how they gamed the system, rigged prices, ripped off and injured people -- purposefully -- without consequence. My forehead was sore for a month from banging it against the desk so hard.
-zridling (February 04, 2011, 03:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I regularly post things that are utterly insane on Facebook, and I've got only 2 friends there that ever comment. One is app103. I've been quick shocked at how much people just don't care.

Meh... I suppose I shouldn't either... Hard to do though...

What about Project Gutenberg? Can all that be read on the Kindle and other readers? Or have they locked that out?

Beth UK:

What about Project Gutenberg? Can all that be read on the Kindle and other readers? Or have they locked that out?
-Renegade (February 04, 2011, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Project Gutenberg have a lot of kindle/ePub content that can be read  :)

Paul Keith:
I don't know if you can say it's FUBAR.

If these three corporations succeeded in getting a monopoly on the market then the problem might forever be unresolved.

As it stands now, there's a niche opening for the next Amazon or the next Barnes & Nobles and it's not like e-book market infrastructure is dying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version