ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google's overweening conceit (anti-Eric Schmidt rant)

<< < (2/3) > >>

tomos:
in the fairly off-topic vein...
I dont know the song but I was reminded of this one which samples The Prisoner and is holding up well IMO
Colourbox - Just Give 'em Whiskey (1985)

& back on topic:
I think to be ceo of google you've probably got to believe your own (i.e. google's) myths

zridling:
Anyone see the Disney/Pixar film Wall*E? That's basically what he's describing as the future of humanity....-Deozaan (February 02, 2011, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow. A light just went on in my head. Thanks, Deozaan!

Deozaan:
Anyone see the Disney/Pixar film Wall*E? That's basically what he's describing as the future of humanity....-Deozaan (February 02, 2011, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow. A light just went on in my head. Thanks, Deozaan!
-zridling (February 02, 2011, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's like the saying goes: The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

I'm always worried when people start thinking that since they (supposedly) know better than me, they have the right to take away my freedom to choose and make decisions for me, for my own good.

Even if they're right, I should still have the freedom to make a bad choice and suffer the consequences.

Stoic Joker:
I'm always worried when people start thinking that since they (supposedly) know better than me, they have the right to take away my freedom to choose and make decisions for me, for my own good.

Even if they're right, I should still have the freedom to make a bad choice and suffer the consequences.
-Deozaan (February 02, 2011, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Damn Straight!

Oh Yeah, and I loved the Wall*E connection...  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Hahahah~! The guy likes to rant just like me~! :D

I know that I'm an idiot sometimes though. Sometimes I really just do go off the rails and rant about nothing. He's doing a bit of that. I just picked one that seemed a little interesting.

“And occasionally you may learn something. Whether it’s games, videos or films we can suggest what you should be watching because we know what you care about. So you don’t have to worry so much about the choices – we figure it out for you.

He’s really pushing this one. Repeat after me. You don’t have to think for yourself any more. You don’t have to make choices for yourself any more. Google will do it for you.
--- End quote ---

For 90% of things, I really don't want to have to think about it. I really do want someone to do it for me. They just aren't that important. It's grunt work. I'm above grunt work. :D :P I should be doing the important stuff~! :)

For things like "which brand of UHT milk is healthiest" or "which kind of honey is healthiest for me" or "which hard drive is at the price/storage sweet spot"... Why should I need to bother figuring all that out? If Google or someone else can figure it out for me (honestly and not deceptively), then great. I'll spend my time on better things.

He's looking at a lot of things in the most negative light possible. (I'm guilty of that too though.)

Still, rants are fun. The holes in the logic are perhaps the most fun part for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version