ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unable to compete with the Kindle, Apple wants a cut of ebook sales

<< < (6/9) > >>

superboyac:
I wish there was a way to like a reply. Renegade's sums up my feelings :)

A huge resounding +1
-Josh (February 02, 2011, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

3 drinks in on an empty stomach and I start to express my true inner feelings. All warm and fuzzy and unicorns and rainbows. Apple, Sony and a few others just tend to force my unicorns to start impaling people and turning the rainbows to beautifully gasoline covered ponds. The warm comes from them throwing a lit match on the pond. The fuzzy then comes from what happens to my vision as my eyes begin to melt. :D
-Renegade (February 02, 2011, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
yes, you're right.  That was a bit of an exaggerated response on my part.  I shouldn't say that the e-ink is bullshit, i have no grounds for that, and a lot of people agree that it is a more pleasant reading experience.  Here's what I really intended to say: the kindle and other purely e-readers are going to die quickly when the other tablet manufacturers start offering a lot of decent tablets.  Why would you get a pure e-reader, when you can get the same type of screen (the Adam comes to mind) but with an OS that allows other software also (iOS, Android, Windows).  So if the screen was the same, why would I choose a kindle over an ipad?  It's like paying for a portable video player that can't play mp3's.  Why would i do that, when I can just get the thing that plays everything?  I may be wrong here if the price differences between the readers and fully featured tablets are significant.  Anyhoo...i didn't put much thought into that.  Sorry.

J-Mac:
I don’t think you can use a screen with e-ink technology as a digitizer - or touch screen. Looking for where I read this; when I find it I'll post back with the link.

Jim

Renegade:
I wish there was a way to like a reply. Renegade's sums up my feelings :)

A huge resounding +1
-Josh (February 02, 2011, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

3 drinks in on an empty stomach and I start to express my true inner feelings. All warm and fuzzy and unicorns and rainbows. Apple, Sony and a few others just tend to force my unicorns to start impaling people and turning the rainbows to beautifully gasoline covered ponds. The warm comes from them throwing a lit match on the pond. The fuzzy then comes from what happens to my vision as my eyes begin to melt. :D
-Renegade (February 02, 2011, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
yes, you're right.  That was a bit of an exaggerated response on my part.  I shouldn't say that the e-ink is bullshit, i have no grounds for that, and a lot of people agree that it is a more pleasant reading experience.  Here's what I really intended to say: the kindle and other purely e-readers are going to die quickly when the other tablet manufacturers start offering a lot of decent tablets.  Why would you get a pure e-reader, when you can get the same type of screen (the Adam comes to mind) but with an OS that allows other software also (iOS, Android, Windows).  So if the screen was the same, why would I choose a kindle over an ipad?  It's like paying for a portable video player that can't play mp3's.  Why would i do that, when I can just get the thing that plays everything?  I may be wrong here if the price differences between the readers and fully featured tablets are significant.  Anyhoo...i didn't put much thought into that.  Sorry.
-superboyac (February 02, 2011, 10:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think maybe you quoted the wrong post.

Anyways, regarding e-ink, it really is a better viewing experience. It is specifically designed for "reading", and not "viewing". It reduces eye-strain. Give a tablet and a kindle to someone in their 50's or 60's and ask them to read for a few hours on each of them, then ask them which they prefer, and I will guarantee you that the vast majority will prefer the kindle.

If you're young and have excellent eye-sight, then you're not likely to really know the difference as easily.

wraith808:
^ But what about developing vision?  As I said, I'm looking at the nook for my daughter simply because she's 10.  Would the increased strain from an LCD be bad for her eyes?  I don't know.  But I figured I'd take the lesser risk any day.

superboyac:
nah, nah...forget i said anything.  I was just in a mood.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version