ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mother of all video player discussion threads

<< < (4/4)

JavaJones:
CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture - no the acronym definition doesn't help understand it :D) is basically just nVidia's proprietary implementation of GPU-based general computing libraries. For massively parallel tasks, GPU acceleration can greatly speed things up. Video encoding (and decoding) is one of those things that does benefit. CUDA is not currently supported by ATI, in the past it was expected it never would be but nVidia may now have ambitions of making it a standard in the future, which would require ATI support. ATI supports the more hardware-agnostic OpenCL (Open Computing Language).

- Oshyan

MilesAhead:
One additional factor, just to add to the confusion, is that 3rd party systems, e.g. video drivers/systems like Nvidia PureVideo, or video codecs like CoreAVC, can also enable GPU acceleration. So in some cases if you can configure a particular player to use a given codec to handle a particular format, you can gain acceleration even if the player itself doesn't natively support it. It's all entirely too complicated really.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (January 31, 2011, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems like .mkv is supported and .m2ts isn't, even when it's just a remux. Perhaps it's because it's handled by Haali Media Splitter?  I dunno'.  Seems like SPlayer gives smoother playback.  When it doesn't say acceleration it will often say EVR and play smoothly, so now I'm more confused than ever.  It plays back smoothly is the important thing I guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version