ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

[HELP] broke a (HP) Printer by pulling USB Plug -when it was trying to print (?)

<< < (5/7) > >>

tomos away:
I did a quick check, HP calls it a Scrubber (most of the time).

If you go to the HP Drivers & Software page for the OfficeJet 8500 it will be listed under utilities as a "Removal Tool".

Hopefully these links will work from where you're at:

HP Officejet Pro Software and Driver Removal Utility
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-77037-3&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=4063&product=3752462&sw_lang=

HP Officejet Basic Driver Removal Utility - IT Professional Use Only (Corporate Scrubber)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-80955-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=4063&product=3752462&sw_lang=
-Stoic Joker (January 30, 2011, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks SJ
this version of the printer is the OfficeJet Pro 8500 A910a
unfortunately I cant find any driver removal tools for it - the software version (basic) was 22.0.334.0

I'm tempted to go ahead and install anyway

tomos away:
Stoic Joker:
your link says the 4 steps involve:

Level 1: Removes the Windows device discovery (Plug and Play) entries from the Windows registry. After running level 1, connect the USB cable to the all-in-one and let Windows try to discover the device again.
Level 2: (Performs Level 1) Removes the software drivers. After running level 2, run the all-in-one installer and use the ""Add a new device"" option to attempt to reinstall the all-in-one again.
Level 3: (Performs Levels 1 and 2) Removes the HP Photo and Imaging software. You must completely reinstall the all-in-one software after running level 3.
Level 4: (Performs Levels 1, 2 and 3) Removes HP Software Update. You must completely reinstall the all-in-one software after running level 4.
--- End quote ---

#2 is done (how well I dont know)
#3 wasnt installed
#4 wasnt installed

so (I believe) only #1 is a problem - could I work around that some way do you think?

Stoic Joker:
Okay, so you only had the driver installed, and not the other CrapWare (good man).

There is a Basic Print & Scan driver v22.50.231 showing on the DL page ... Give that one a shot.

Don't plug in the USB until (Simon Says...) prompted by the installer.

tomos away:
Followed instruction but no joy I'm afraid - the printer is simply not recognised by the computer or software - I need that level one uninstaller/scrubber:

Level 1: Removes the Windows device discovery (Plug and Play) entries from the Windows registry. After running level 1, connect the USB cable to the all-in-one and let Windows try to discover the device again.

--- End quote ---

I can contact HP and ask for it for this version.

They do have another suggestion here (Windows 7, Solution #10 - after reinstalling)
[edit] but I dont see it making a difference [/edit]

Solution ten: Perform a power reset

A power reset drains the power from the product and returns to the same settings after restarting. A power reset is a common troubleshooting step, and you can perform one for conditions like print jobs getting stuck in the queue.

* Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.

* With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

* Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

* Wait at least 15 seconds.

* Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

* Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

* If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.
--- End quote ---

minor edit marked

tomos away:
I am growing to loathe HP more and more as time goes by:

I'm trying to register the printer via their site as I presume it will be necessary for support - I'm offered two printers with exactly the same name except one is called the "neues modell". Pictures of both printers are exactly the same - how in the loving name of all that is good and holy am I supposed to know which to choose - psychic powers maybe.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version