ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Darwinism + geneticism + two-wheeled vehicles = ... awesomeness.

<< < (5/8) > >>

CWuestefeld:
@Deozaan - I'm pretty sure that your guess about "goal" score is incorrect. That's just not how genetic algorithms work. You can't pre-set an expected fitness level. The best you can do is to take the best specimens from the generation whatever they are.

It appears that in this implementation, brand new specimens are ONLY generated at generation 0. Thereafter, everything comes from either

* A combination of attributes from two parent specimens who scored well in the previous generation
* Carrying over verbatim a good specimen from the previous generation
* Taking the result of one of the previous operations and applying a random value to an attribute, with a likelihood given by the slider bar at the bottom (defaulting to 5%)
I believe that the graph's two curves show (a) the best specimen of the generation in red, and (b) the average specimen in the generation.

That said, I've got no idea what that parenthetic value really does mean. But it regularly shows an absurdly high value -- far higher than any of my cars have ever reached. And in the succeeding generation, it is *not* the case that my cars that all scored lower than this are discarded. They continue to evolve (generally) forward, using the rules I listed.

Daleus:
Okay, stoppit!

I'm at work and was just mezmerized for 30 minutes.

grumble grumble...eye candy...grumble

Stoic Joker:
^^^ I'll 2nd That! ^^^

Mutating Motorcycle Mayhem? ...I have got to play with this when I get home - There goes Friday night...

:D

Deozaan:
That said, I've got no idea what that parenthetic value really does mean. But it regularly shows an absurdly high value -- far higher than any of my cars have ever reached. And in the succeeding generation, it is *not* the case that my cars that all scored lower than this are discarded. They continue to evolve (generally) forward, using the rules I listed.
-CWuestefeld (January 28, 2011, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you're right about everything, except that I think my "goal" score idea is correct. I just might not be very clear in my description of what a "goal" score is. Let me try to clarify:

Basically, if a motorcycle reaches the "goal" score, it doesn't bother simulating it any further and just moves on to the next mutation. Thus, it has reached its "goal" and is considered the cream of the crop for its particular generation.

Ideally the algorithm should favor those motorcycles which scored the highest, but there's really no way of knowing how exactly a vehicle that reaches the goal affects the next generation compared to the others that don't.

What I do know is that when none of the vehicles get close to the "goal" score, then the number goes down. But if just one makes it or gets about half way, it goes up (doubles?).

Deozaan:
I've been watching for a while now and it appears to me as though the number in parentheses is twice the previous generation's highest score.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version