ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Choosing a CMS

<< < (18/18)

40hz:
Just as an aside (and to take a break from all the template arcana  :)) Website Baker has a portable edition to make it easy for you to try it or work on developing your website. It's an all-in-one that includes a small webserver plus the needed additions, so all you have to do is click and run it.

Drop a copy on a USB key along with a few other portable apps and you can work on developing your website anywhere. I do the same thing with my Python dev toolkit. Works like a charm.  :up:

I have clients that use WB. They're say they're very happy with it.  :)

Bamse:
Baker was one of my failed research on support. Some years ago they had internal dev. problems (or so I remember it), nothing really happened. Some talk of forking. I gave up and discovered S9Y (at that time way better than WP). I was wrong and Baker still an alternative. WP has always sucked with control/admin panel, I remember that area was a clear winner with Baker. Means a lot though much might simply be visual tricks and preferences. WP just seem clumsy and annoying in comparison to me. Plugins and hacks can fix anything but still. Same with those admin panels from themes/frameworks, if they feel hopeless nothing good comes out of efforts. Problems I focused on were not so big selection of plugins and themes. But said with tinkering as a goal, not an important feature with Baker once it is approved and in working condition. Less can be better.

But tons more can also be cool :) mahesh2k, check out Suffusion http://www.aquoid.com/news/themes/suffusion/ just another them it is not. Child themes (more and more hooks and filters though I doubt many use them, yet), Buddypress, custom css, custom php, import/export, own custom post type gui, constantly new stuff coming (also negative but nm for now). Don't focus on need for prettifying or optimizing, do not check number of queries - he knows. Pretend it is perfect! Can you not see this is best described as a framework for theme production? Very very wrong to use that patented term but you can understand where it comes from? If not you are hopeless.

This type of beast is probably best suited for those who strongly believe in personal websites, for better and worse. Only little build-in elegance here, good chance of blood sweat and tears. Pic show how it deals with widgets, including ad hoc widgets - each can be 1-5 columns. Add some widget logic and most is per page, per post, per category, per tag etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version