ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple Photo Resizer - Please Give Feedback

<< < (9/10) > >>

Renegade:
Nice little app. Couple of suggestions:

* How about adding an option to save suitable for a webpage just a single tick box will do (ie. set the right DPI without asking about details).
* As well as showing the size of the output how about including the file size output - if you are resizing to email a photo the file size is useful to know.-Carol Haynes (February 05, 2011, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good grief... Carol - you have an unnatural talent for making me work~! :D

I've added in the file size preview. It's exactly accurate though I've opted to display on KB because that's the easiest thing for people to understand. I don't know many people that can instantly divide 7 digit number by 1024. :D

That was easy.

The hard part... Sigh... DPI -- I did extensive testing and checking on this, including code rewrites and reverts. During that, I believe that I've discovered a bug in Adobe Photoshop. :P

It turns out that I had it right all along. In Photoshop's image resizer, they report the EXIF data, which I neglected to change and forgot about while doing this all, which is why it took me so long. The resized images are at 96 though the EXIF data reports otherwise for images with original resolutions that are different.

In any event, I'm going to have to finish the EXIF/tag stuff later. Got client work to do today.

Here's the updated installer with the size preview:

Photo Resizer ed. Update here.

Here's a screenshot of the UI as it has changed a bit:

Sigh... Back to work...

UPDATE 2011-03-25:

Follow up in this thread.

Renegade:
Oh - a quick note --- the size update has a very brief delay for performance reasons. (Needs a bit more tuning, but it's ok for now.)

Carol Haynes:

Sigh... Back to work...
-Renegade (February 05, 2011, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL - sorry but you know it will be worth it ;)

Now all you need is an 'apply this to a whole folder of photos' button ;)

cranioscopical:
Hi Renegade,

No criticism intended here, it's a great app.
Given your initial posting, though, are you in danger of losing the original 'dead simple' concept?

Renegade:

Sigh... Back to work...
-Renegade (February 05, 2011, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL - sorry but you know it will be worth it ;)

Now all you need is an 'apply this to a whole folder of photos' button ;)
-Carol Haynes (February 06, 2011, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

The size preview is a good addition. It was one of those things I had in mind but figured that I'd let it slide until later unless someone mentioned it.

As for bulk processing... That's out. See below. :)

Hi Renegade,

No criticism intended here, it's a great app.
Given your initial posting, though, are you in danger of losing the original 'dead simple' concept?
-cranioscopical (February 06, 2011, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think so. The addition of the size preview is a passive thing for the user, so it doesn't burden things much there. It does increase the size of the UI though, but not too much. Everything is still clear and uncluttered.

Bulk processing is simply too much. I'd rather do a dedicated bulk utility for that. I've got all the code for it already done, so that's not a problem. The problem is that it would clutter things up far too much.

That being said, I do plan to write some more bulk processing software for photos.

There won't be much danger of too much feature creep in there as I'll be sticking to "photos" and not "images". i.e. Images from cameras, and not from authoring/editing tools.

Right now I think that the program is about right. There's some fine tuning I still want to do, but it's only performance stuff to squeeze out a bit more (and the EXIF tag thing).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version