ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple Photo Resizer - Please Give Feedback

(1/10) > >>

Renegade:
My wife came to me and wanted to resize a photo. Well, we've been through this before... She's got software to do it, but it's not easy enough. I showed her again, but she doesn't like IrfanView because it's simply too complicated. So...

The all new Renegade Photo Resizer! ed. Super Simple Photo Resizer

Is it easy enough to use? I'm looking to make it stupidly simple. So simple that a politician could use it~!

I had options and stuff in there... but I figured that it was just crap that isn't needed. Who cares about JPG ratios? 80% is good enough. Exact sizes? BAH! Slider. Close enough. How many people actually know that you must have your photo dimensions as multiples of 16 in order to minimize quality loss? Not many... I take care of the little stuff and leave only the MAJOR decisions to the user.

It requires .NET v4 though. There's no installer. Just the EXE.

(It's not final quality yet -- a few tiny things to tweak.)

UPDATE 2011-03-25:

I've posted follow up in this thread.

lanux128:
nice, it works here. but then you wanted feedback.. :) so here goes:

1. since the app deals with photos, how about the preserving the timestamp to be the same as original.
2. i feel lazy and want to use the scroll wheel on the slider to resize the images

just some thoughts.

nudone:
maybe a "crop" feature. or is that going too far?

Renegade:
nice, it works here. but then you wanted feedback.. :) so here goes:

1. since the app deals with photos, how about the preserving the timestamp to be the same as original.
2. i feel lazy and want to use the scroll wheel on the slider to resize the images

just some thoughts.
-lanux128 (January 23, 2011, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good ideas.

1 - I'll be doing some additional work on tags and that later.
2 - Got some done there -- need to smooth it out a bit though.

maybe a "crop" feature. or is that going too far?
-nudone (January 24, 2011, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that's a bit far at the moment. I'd rather stick to super-simple for the moment. Later I might look into doing a cropping utility, but right now -- simple, simple, simple.

My current aim is to build up a small suite of super-simple programs that are SOOOOO simple that you really need to be basically brain dead to not be able to use them easily.

e.g. No menus. No toolbars. An "X" button in the title bar should be enough. (Duplicate Photo Finder does this.)

You know that techno-tard that pesters you for help all the time? Yeah. That one. That's who I'm aiming for. :D

nudone:
sounds like a good idea for a complete range of programs/tools.

you'll need an equally super simple/obvious website to store them at. make it a point that anything requiring "instruction" or "explanation" is too much. every tool is 100% intuitive and takes about 5 seconds to realise what it does.

your website could be the place to go for every google simple how-to search. (and then google would buy you out - or just imitate your idea.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version