ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Outlining software recommendations?

<< < (8/10) > >>

urlwolf:
I too have been looking for the perfect outliner for years. Grandview was definitely the best of the bunch, and still works in a cmd window (though not on 64bit Win7). After experimenting with many, I settled on Notemap from LexisNexis. It lacks the column features of Grandview (which I used for bug-tracking) but for text outlining is excellent, even if the output formatting is a little limited when transferring to Word etc. Doesn't appear to be being maintained/developed any more now, but is still available.

I keep experimenting with various todolist type programs (including Outlook Tasks) for bug and project activity tracking, but nothing is perfect - TodoList hereabouts comes closest, but it's activity timing is not really flexible enough - I need records of time spent each day readily available (that can be done) but I also need the timer to stop after a certain period of keyboard/mouse inactivity. Using the screen saver to stop the time is pointless when so many windows apps (Outlook for one) will stop the screensaver kicking in if they think you should pay attention to them...

One day, perhaps after I die, I will have enough spare time to roll my own. No, wait...

-mfwiniberg (March 31, 2011, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try watership planner. It does exactly what you describe.

rjbull:
Try watership planner.-urlwolf (August 08, 2011, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Expensive.  Is this the "new Ecco?"

urlwolf:
Try watership planner.-urlwolf (August 08, 2011, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Expensive.  Is this the "new Ecco?"
-rjbull (August 08, 2011, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm testing it right now. I couldn't find any reviews online. Looks promising. I wonder if there'd be enough interest for a discount?

wraith808:
I'm interested.  I just don't pay full price for these kind of things.  A couple others that I've used before are LeaderTask and Achieve Planner, though if this one has a way to automatically fill out time from activities, I'm even more interested.

rjbull:
Looks promising. I wonder if there'd be enough interest for a discount?
-urlwolf (August 08, 2011, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
I certainly wouldn't buy it at full price, but the other thing that bothers me is the assumption that you're going to run almost your whole life by this single piece of software.  I'm not sure anything is quite convincing enough for that, the more so if it isn't portable.  Most of us can cover the same areas with things we have already and which we're too used to to be keen to change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version