ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Outlining software recommendations?

<< < (7/10) > >>

JohnFredC:
After starting with ThinkTank and growing up on GrandView and PCOutline (both DOS), it has been difficult to find a workable pure outliner that runs in Windows. 

PCOutLine for Windows (Google it up) was a project with promise, but Version 1.0 was very buggy and the project appears to have ceased long ago.  If it had worked, I would have adopted it.

To make potentially long and frustrating story short (I've been using/seeking software outliners for 25 years) it looks like the Windows component of Natura Bansai might do the trick.  Check it out!

mfwiniberg:
I too have been looking for the perfect outliner for years. Grandview was definitely the best of the bunch, and still works in a cmd window (though not on 64bit Win7). After experimenting with many, I settled on Notemap from LexisNexis. It lacks the column features of Grandview (which I used for bug-tracking) but for text outlining is excellent, even if the output formatting is a little limited when transferring to Word etc. Doesn't appear to be being maintained/developed any more now, but is still available.

I keep experimenting with various todolist type programs (including Outlook Tasks) for bug and project activity tracking, but nothing is perfect - TodoList hereabouts comes closest, but it's activity timing is not really flexible enough - I need records of time spent each day readily available (that can be done) but I also need the timer to stop after a certain period of keyboard/mouse inactivity. Using the screen saver to stop the time is pointless when so many windows apps (Outlook for one) will stop the screensaver kicking in if they think you should pay attention to them...

One day, perhaps after I die, I will have enough spare time to roll my own. No, wait...

urlwolf:
Actually, noteliner makes a nice free alternative to MLO.
On top of being a very capable outliner.
I'd say it competes with cintanotes in the search dept. too. If only bullets points were such a turn off for me...

40hz:
About the only old-style general purpose outliner still on the market is MaxThink. I liked the DOS version better than the Windows version, but what ya gonna do?

The late EccoPro borrowed heavily from MaxThink. You can find orphaned copies of EccoPro to download if you Google around. Worked on XP. Don't know if it does on Win7.

I liked GrandView too. I was sorry when that went off the market. Vastly better than it's competitor Lotus Agenda.  8)

Curt:
This one seems promising, called Sain Outliner:
http://www.sainsoftware.com/
-superboyac (January 22, 2011, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Current version 1.2
Released 14 Feb 2011.

http://www.sainsoftware.com/

Sain Outliner is currently on sale for the price of "Pay What You Want" (i.e. 50 cents or more). This is a fantastic productivity product at an enormous discount!
To buy:
1. Click the Download link to download Sain Outliner
2. Click the link below to Buy a Personal License to Sain Outliner
3. In the cart screen, set your own price!

Click Here to Buy a Sain Outliner Personal License [PAY WHAT YOU WANT]
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Edited:

License: One license entitles you to install the software on multiple computers as long as you are the primary user. Your key will continue to work for minor version upgrades.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version