ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google? Spam? Ads? No... No Conflict of Interest Here...

<< < (9/14) > >>

JavaJones:
In *their* results or in *all search engine results*? Come on, seriously, stop dodging this issue. If it's a Google problem then I want to know about it so I can start using some other system! But so far everything I've tried hasn't been any better than Google in the majority of cases, and sometimes worse.

DuckDuckGo now has a billboard up in San Francisco. Are they advertising better search results or less spam? No. Their sole marketing point is that they don't track you and Google does. Well, I don't really care about the tracking, and the results in Google are as good or better than the competition.

I'll be thrilled when the next search revolution comes on and does to the search space what Google did back when it debuted. Whether it comes from Google or someone else I don't care.

- Oshyan

Renegade:
In *their* results or in *all search engine results*? Come on, seriously, stop dodging this issue. If it's a Google problem then I want to know about it so I can start using some other system! But so far everything I've tried hasn't been any better than Google in the majority of cases, and sometimes worse.

DuckDuckGo now has a billboard up in San Francisco. Are they advertising better search results or less spam? No. Their sole marketing point is that they don't track you and Google does. Well, I don't really care about the tracking, and the results in Google are as good or better than the competition.

I'll be thrilled when the next search revolution comes on and does to the search space what Google did back when it debuted. Whether it comes from Google or someone else I don't care.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (January 29, 2011, 10:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really only use Google as they are more consistent. As for other engines, not sure. I'm usually disappointed whenever I try anything else. I'm not trying to dodge anything. Just wasn't considering anything else other than Google.

JavaJones:
Testing with Jeopardy questions has Google (just) winning over Bing and others: http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2011/01/27/google-would-just-beat-bing-at-jeopardy/

Google's results for at least some questions (or, as Jeopardy would put it, "answers", hehe) remain the most relevant...

This makes me wonder if in fact the techie audience here tends to have search terms that are particularly susceptible to SEO gaming (or particularly targeted). That could explain the higher perception of results in Google being less relevant by users here.

- Oshyan

Renegade:
This makes me wonder if in fact the techie audience here tends to have search terms that are particularly susceptible to SEO gaming (or particularly targeted). That could explain the higher perception of results in Google being less relevant by users here.
-JavaJones (January 31, 2011, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've thought about that, and it would make sense. You have some techie spammer that turns to familiar sites - tech sites -- and writes his own spammy sites.

However, online shopping... Nightmare. You never get the manufacturer site. Whenever I try to search for anything I end up with a lot of crap. I mean when I want to buy something and need to do a bit of research -- I'm swamped with junk.

Admittedly, I'm usually searching for car or camera stuff...

mahesh2k:
Bots and automated ranking must have difficulties in judging content with quotes/attributions and those without - can we not assume that is a parameter in 2011?
--- End quote ---

Any odd developer can fix this - there are 5 copies of the content and google knows which is the original so why not ingore the remaining 4 ? i just see no reason for google to improve from this mistake. Google has yet to remove duplicate content from the search entries. I don't know what's stopping them from doing that, why they need duplicate copies ? People overestimate google's power in case of their algorithm. It's basically a sh88t algorithm from wanna-be phd holders at google. Any tom dick and harry can copy content from other sites and rank number 1.And these phd brains in google are taking time to improve algorithm just to discard duplicate content sites and entries ? check sites like metroadvice .com -pure BS with content from yahoo answers and other sites.

Google algorithm has many flaws as of now-
1. can't differentiate between duplicate and original copies
2. have no way of detecting new sites and their content
3. have no respect for social signals and places (where people flock to discuss or read the info)
4. slaps are unjustified on many pages and sites
5. indexing and de-indexing is very poor
6. No respect to brand (for example, take case of product owner sites, you see less results to him and more to reviews of his products that's sad).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version