ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google? Spam? Ads? No... No Conflict of Interest Here...

<< < (2/14) > >>

Bamse:
They already have that, is called Google SearchWiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_SearchWiki Oh they used to have that, now discontinued or melted in with Chrome. I am not surprised, most people can't be bothered and just click, click among top hits.

Their launch post SearchWiki: make search your own

40hz:
Interesting. According to Google:

These principles have always applied, but it’s important to affirm they still hold true.
--- End quote ---

It would be good if Google could demonstrate with specific data how true that affirmation is.

Because:

Announcing something isn't the same thing as accomplishing it. And saying that something is so doesn't automatically make it so. Nor does repetition create truth.

Affirmations are statements of intended action, not the action itself. Can Google offer proof it's principles are more than empty lip service?

Bamse:
One way to find out would be to report a site which without a doubt piss all over their own rules and tons of advices on good behavior. Start the clock and see what happens. Do they let a bot give link to bing.com or will you get a human response with argumentation for why and why not.

mahesh2k:
Why not report those sites?
--- End quote ---

Reporting never works. Because competitor will report each other for some random reasons and that way tons of requests are piling up. I have never seen google taking action against those people.

There is new trick(called autoblogs) that thieves use to increase the garbage, using your (okay our) content. They copy our content and give linkback at the bottom or within content to save their backside from legal hassles. And using backlinks and other SEO they rank over you and google simply ditches you. This technique is called as autoblogs and with affiliate ads and CPM ads people are earning lots of bucks with it. Some are even copying software .exe and creating lots of subdomains to rank on google for the soft download.

Now before google write the blog post like that to announce their algorithm's inability to detect thieves, i think they need to work on beating this tactic from thieves before claiming - do this or that to combat spam. They're doing nothing as far as i can see on the example, i mentioned here.

One simple innovation would be to have a thumbs up and a thumbs down link in the search results page for each link so that rubbish can easily be reported*.
--- End quote ---
There is a way to get around this, if someone codes a bot to thumbs up their own site across multiple IP's ? Trust me, google can't even detect autblogs, let alone catch multiple IP's.

It really worries me when forums like blackhat this-or-that comes to crack google's algorithm in their favor and do succeed in that. We assume google is too powerful but in reality it's just another algorithm made by humans so there is going to be a pattern in a way humans think, so the flaws.

mahesh2k:
Only way i can see things improving the search quality of any search engine is by - educating users. Give links to linkworthy sites, if we link to garbage we attract garbage. Never link to clothes site from developers forum or other non-niche site. For on-niche site, never link to low quality site(as in spam,plagiarized content). This type of activity if taken in religious point of view could create small content-rich chains (like DMOZ) which will help google or any search engine to improve results. It's also very hard to beat for those black-hatters because they prefer to automate things and expect minimum hardwork, which you rarely get from small content-rich sites hence easily gets tracked by google.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version