ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB Madness With Cooked-Off Ports

<< < (2/6) > >>

40hz:
I'm amazed they haven't fixed this by now. It's seems to be a well known issue.

I recently bought a Targus wireless keypad. In the troubleshooting section, the official 'fix' if this device fails to work (or permanently stops responding later on) is to switch USB ports and make a note not to ever reuse it on the problem port.

When I first installed it, it worked just fine. For a week. Then it stopped. Once switched to another port it was fine once again. But only for two days. It refused to work at all on the third port I tried. That's when it finally got moved over to my last USB port - where it occasionally disappears and requires a full reboot to get it back.

Targus's tech support suggested I reinstall Windows if port #4 goes south on me. A gentleman who was not (but should have been) named "Peggy" said (in very bad English): It is very easy to do. I have reinstalled Windows dozens of times on my personal PC.

I got off the phone shortly after that. And the keypad (sans battery) went out with the trash the following morning.

Bamse:
Nirsoft to the rescue http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html or not?

40hz:
^Tried that with the keypad. (I'm a big Nirsoft and SysInternals fan BTW.) It didn't help for that problem.   :)

Stoic Joker:
Targus's tech support suggested I reinstall Windows if port #4 goes south on me. A gentleman who was not (but should have been) named "Peggy" said (in very bad English): It is very easy to do. I have reinstalled Windows dozens of times on my personal PC.-40hz (January 21, 2011, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, now that's the best laugh I've had all week!

However the moral of the story seems to imply I'm basically screwed.

Stoic Joker:
Nirsoft to the rescue http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html or not?-Bamse (January 21, 2011, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well it certainly sounds (and looks) like it should do the job, but I don't have time to delve into the currently active (or should I say inactive) test case.

^Tried that with the keypad. (I'm a big Nirsoft and SysInternals fan BTW.) It didn't help for that problem.   :)
-40hz (January 21, 2011, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Can you thumbnail sketch what was tried and failed, there may have been a secondary issue with the keypad. The test case I currently have going involves an HP Mono LaserJet. Print jobs go from the app, to the spool, and then vanish into cyberhell without so much as even a whimpered error message. Printer works just dandy on another computer... (yada, yada, yada...).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version