ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unlocker punishes you for not installing toolbar.

<< < (4/11) > >>

Bamse:
I think it is a nice touch from Unlocker that they list extra "Promotional features" in changelog. Most do not, almost seems like they would not want you do take too much notice - just click, click ;) Unless installation is set up to trick users into clicking wrong buttons or make them dizzy with too many unrelated windows, information of process should take away most annoyances. He does not highlight it that much, not like Registrybooster crap, and may be it will vanish after next update since no longer news but under the circumstances which is 2011 internet and almost everything goes, it is better than nothing. These sometimes sneaky marketing add-ons should be part of license policy for program. Should be mentioned right next do download link. Then anyone know what to expect and cannot claim X program secretly hijacked search box in browser or other evils.

Notice how he melts Registrybooster in to download section http://cedrick.collomb.perso.sfr.fr/unlocker/#download almost as part of his site. Old trick and a hint of how he look at marketing towards users and what to expect ;) 30 sec timer is just his way of annoying you in his defeat. Still think it is good he give a little mention of promotional features.

4wd:
Update: after a little REing, I found it uses GetLocaleInfoA to detect if you're in GBR or USA and if so installs the bing bar, doing a 30 sec countdown with the delay.dll NSIS plugin, if not, just offers QuickStores with no delay whatsoever.-scancode (January 19, 2011, 09:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow!  So there's a benefit to living below the equator....cool!

scancode:
GRR, I fail. "No delay whatsoever" should become "1 second delay" >.>

J-Mac:
As to the comment that a 30 second wait isn't unreasonable, I say Bullshit! I donated to him! I don’t want to see such crap and so I do indeed donate to every free software developer whose app I use. Granted there are a lot I have tried and didn't continue to use - they get nothing. But I do use some freeware and I always donate if requested. And I have donated in cases when it was NOT requested!

mouser, I don’t know what you mean regarding the approach to license keys here at DC. I never used any DC software until after I donated - to be honest I didn't think you could even do that! Maybe you couldn't do that back when I registered; or else I just missed it.

Anyway, if he wants to develop software, then just do it!  :P  If donations aren't cutting it then start charging for his work - I certainly don’t have a problem with that. But when it is given freely I am very appreciative and I show it how I can. But if installing crapware or adware is how he wants to be recompensed then it isn't really offered "free" anymore. My opinion, anyway. I think it is ExifViewer that has no distinction between their paid and free versions other than a 45 second start delay if the program is not registered. Annoying? Yes. But not very. It would have annoyed me more if he had packaged Ebay crap and especially a toolbar - of any kind - with the program. Either make it truly free (read: donation-based), or don’t. But once they insist on adding crap I stop using it.   ;)

Thanks!

Jim

scancode:
So a 45 seconds delay at every startup is more reasonable than a 30 seconds delay once at install time? :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version