ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unlocker punishes you for not installing toolbar.

<< < (2/11) > >>

scancode:
And would you remove the ability to unzip for non-donators too then?

Deozaan:
Yeah, perhaps a bit cynical.

But also come on, developer makes an app in his free time and includes the bing toolbar in the hopes of getting some revenue. Then you get angry when he asks you to wait 30 seconds after opting not to support him. There is a definite hint of the "entitled" generation here >:(
-Eóin (January 19, 2011, 08:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was probably already bombarded with ads and had to wait 30+ seconds before I could even download the installer. Then when I decide I don't want the malware toolbar on my PC I have to wait longer? I don't think it's EVER a good idea to force people to wait to install your program once they get their hands on it.

Who knows? Maybe I would have liked it so much that I'd have made a donation to him. But because of that stupid trick I'm never going to use it again and I'm definitely not going to recommend it to anyone else.

It didn't for me :( I've always wanted to be punished by a software application! :'(
-scancode (January 19, 2011, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure why it didn't for you. I got it from Cnet. Here's a screenshot of the countdown timer:

Deozaan:
yeah i have to say, i think having to wait 30 seconds doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing.  it's a bit similar to the DC approach to license keys.  i do not like these bundled toolbars and wouldn't include them with my apps, but i can imagine putting a 30second delay in an installer for non-donators and asking people to consider donating.
-mouser (January 19, 2011, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would much rather look at a 30 second countdown timer that says "If you like this software, please take the next 30 seconds to consider donating to this project." than to be punished for choosing not to install bundled malware.

cranioscopical:
It didn't for me :( I've always wanted to be punished by a software application! :'(
-scancode (January 19, 2011, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now there's gotta be an idea for a new NANY app in THAT comment!
-timns (January 19, 2011, 08:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps you could whip up something for us…

timns:
I was probably already bombarded with ads and had to wait 30+ seconds before I could even download the installer.
-Deozaan (January 19, 2011, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

But didn't you know that:
Unlocker punishes you for not installing toolbar.

:-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version