ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

DC needs a fun game project that multiple people can contribute to

<< < (2/13) > >>

timns:
BTW my next year's NANY entry will be a game. Let me know when Perry sets up the topic  ;D

Deozaan:
In what way(s) could people contribute to a tower defense game? Obviously coders could help program, artists could make graphics, and musicians could help with music or maybe sound effects, but in what other ways would someone be able to contribute to a TD game?

timns:
In what way(s) could people contribute to a tower defense game? Obviously coders could help program, artists could make graphics, and musicians could help with music or maybe sound effects, but in what other ways would someone be able to contribute to a TD game?
-Deozaan (January 19, 2011, 09:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think level design is often underrated. Also, the tedious things that those high-falutin' coders overlook, like documentation, help, tutorials. Ooh, and my favourite: play testing!

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

Level design. Game mechanics. There's lots.

On the coding side, there are a lot of different skill sets here at DC. How would/could/should things be setup to let the maximum number of people participate?

I am a bit bias, but .NET would let anyone write in any language and the core game could then consume libraries (DLLs). It would also allow for specialized things like DSP or math-heavy stuff to be done in a functional language like F#, while other things were done in C++ or whatever.

Just an idea anyways.

kamahl:
--- End quote ---

I think level design is often underrated. Also, the tedious things that those high-falutin' coders overlook, like documentation, help, tutorials. Ooh, and my favourite: play testing!
-timns (January 19, 2011, 09:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

A lot of design/concepting stuff can be done by just about anyone.  This includes:

* Level Design
* Tower Design
* Enemy design
* The name :P
On the coding side, there are a lot of different skill sets here at DC. How would/could/should things be setup to let the maximum number of people participate?

I am a bit bias, but .NET would let anyone write in any language and the core game could then consume libraries (DLLs). It would also allow for specialized things like DSP or math-heavy stuff to be done in a functional language like F#, while other things were done in C++ or whatever.
-Renegade (January 19, 2011, 09:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
My personal preference would be to build the base in XNA (.NET), and load plugins for the content.  The way I envision it, the base game has very little in it, and uses the plugins to make a completely modular game.  (And we might even be able to do some funky stuff like reusing the monsters directly into an RPG game, if we design it right :D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version