topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: VideoLAN pulled from Apple app store  (Read 2877 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
VideoLAN pulled from Apple app store
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:57 PM »
vlc.pngVideoLAN pulled from Apple app store

The VideoLAN project has been notified that the build of VLC for iOS that was submitted on the AppStore by the company Applidium has been removed by Apple from the iOS AppStore.
The VideoLAN non-profit organisation is a 3rd party in this matter and, while VideoLAN regrets the annoyance that could be caused to the users, VideoLAN is not responsible for this matter.
However, we are going to work and try to discuss with all the parties to find the best solution in the shortest time possible.

Source

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: VideoLAN pulled from Apple app store
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:14 PM »
There is some incorrect reporting on this from a few different sources.

Check the Videolan blog for what's really going on.

The problem is that Apple's psychotically restrictive EULA for their app store puts too many restrictions on software downloaded there. It's not GPL compatible, and Apple is not willing to make it compatible for different licensing models. (Go figure.)

It would be simple for Apple to allow GPL software without compromising anything of their own. They simple have not done so, which, to me, indicates that they simply do not care about their users or developers in the least.

VLC is the first fallout.

Java is different as Oracle owns the copyright and can do anything they want, GPL or no GPL.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:17 PM »
Didn't the VLC guys tell apple to "accept GPL or remove VLC from the appstore", rather than Apple pulling it pre-emptively? There's several versions of the story floating around... while Apple are bastards no matter which version is true, there's a bit of difference :)
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:37 PM »
You can find out here: http://planet.videolan.org/

January 09, 2011
RĂ©mi Denis-Courmont
Why Apple removed VLC from the App Store?

On January 7th, I was told by an Apple attorney that VLC media player had been removed from the App Store. That is how I was able to break the news first. However as can be expected from an attoryney, there was not really any explanation. A number of people and -unfortunately- popular bloggers have jumped to the obvious conclusion: the VideoLAN project, and I in particular would be idealist morons who care more about technical license details than users, and we would have constrained Apple. This is not quite true.

First, even I do not know for certain why Apple removed VLC, and Apple will probably never state the truth.

Second, Apple has already removed VLC from the "old" Mac Store for computers... already about 4 years ago, at a time when VLC was one of the most popular applications, and I am yet to learn the reasons why.

Third, Apple received my copyright notification more than 2 months before they pulled the application. This was not expedited, as the US copyright law would require. As such, it seems dubious that my well-publicized notification from last october is the root cause of the removal. It is nevertheless the reason why I was learnt directly from Apple that VLC was removed.

Last, Apple had the power and plenty of time (2 months) to adjust and clarifiy the terms of the App Store. Indeed, said terms were modified several times since then. Alternatively, Apple could even have continued to carry VLC implicitly distributed under the GPL by Applidium. This is effectively what I believe the situation was before the removal.

All in all, we will probably never know the truth. But I am inclined to believe what Eben Mogel, from the Software Freedom Law Center, foretold me 2 months ago: Apple would remove VLC simply because it cannot stand software distributed under the GPL on its stores. But, it is Apple's choice and business decision, therefore Apple would have no reasons to expedite the process. It could also be that they do specifically not fancy VLC on their platforms. That would account for the removal from the Mac Store a long time ago.

I know this would be disappointing to the many Apple fanboys who have insulted or slandered me on the web or over email in the last few days. But I might not be the (anti-)hero people made me.

January 09, 2011 06:47 PM

There is another post there that you might want to read as well.

http://arstechnica.c...at-odds-with-gpl.ars

http://www.fsf.org/n...app-store-compliance

An iPhone port of GNU Go is currently being distributed through Apple's App Store. However, this distribution is not in compliance with the GNU GPL. The primary problem is that Apple imposes numerous legal restrictions on use and distribution of GNU Go through the iTunes Store Terms of Service, which is forbidden by section 6 of GPLv2. So today we have written to Apple and asked them to come into compliance. We would be happy to see Apple distribute these programs under the GPL's terms, but unfortunately, it seems much more likely that they'll simply make the problem go away by removing GNU Go from the App Store.

Apple needs to understand that it is not the only company on the planet that can own copyright in a work and that it is not the only company that can license software. It is this fundamental in ability of Apple to allow others any sort of freedom on its platform that is the core problem. They are control freaks.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:55 PM »
FYI - Just checked. GNU Go is not showing up in the app store.

Is anybody honestly surprised?  :-\

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:57 PM by 40hz »