ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

LibreOffice UI Mockups (with sidebar)

<< < (2/8) > >>

fenixproductions:
Every time I am looking on new interface proposals I think about this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jensenh/archive/2008/03/12/the-story-of-the-ribbon.aspx

I know that wide screen LCDs are now trendy but do we really want to go back to:

BTW Microsoft has already tried "side panel approach":

BTW 2 I am always mad to see f*g font ComboBox being so narrow. Every office suite in the world has this issue. Wouldn't it be better to have it wider (allow to resize)? With font preview, perhaps?

zridling:
well, that sounds good. Using Word with the ribbon on a laptop is a PIA. Would you recommend Libre these days Zaine? or Lotus, or ?-tomos (January 17, 2011, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm a text editor guy 95% of the time, however, I've been using the RC versions of LibreOffice for a couple of months and they're fine, in some ways notably better than OpenOffice because they clean up Options and Custom dialogs. Trust me, it's a welcome update.

Looks good UI to me, but why people are abandoning old MS office 2003 style interface ?  :-\ That's very good UI IMO. I prefer more text options than icons. -mahesh2k (January 17, 2011, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
In part because screens have changed since the 90s. MSOffice 2003 is still being used by zillions around the globe (for good reason). With netbooks, more laptops, and 27" widescreen monitors that now cost $350, you've got room to reconsider the UI.

It has been noted that the 2010 office editions are moving back to sidebars and less clutter on the ribbon. I use OneNote 2010 here and the file tab is a sign of things to come, I think.-timns (January 17, 2011, 11:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
I always thought OneNote was Microsoft's greatest software achievement. Seriously, it is incredible. Again, the Lotus Symphony office suite uses tabs throughout its UI.

I know that wide screen LCDs are now trendy but do we really want to go back to: <toolbar hell>-fenixproductions (January 17, 2011, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
No. Been there, done that.

BTW 2 I am always mad to see f*g font ComboBox being so narrow. Every office suite in the world has this issue. Wouldn't it be better to have it wider (allow to resize)? With font preview, perhaps?-fenixproductions (January 17, 2011, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Son, you USE the [default] font you're given and you like it!  :P  No, but I figure the reason it's not done is because it would make sense.

fenixproductions:
The real question which came to my mind is: will they ever do anything to Draw or focus on Writer only?

Seriously, remembering many OO versions I can see applications prioritized as: Wrter, Calc, Impress and Draw. For me "they" are reinventing the wheel over and over again. Same discussions from time to time and empty slogans about "MS Office replacement".

My idea for Libre is: no GUI changes yet but keep it stable instead, integrate Thunderbird somehow, finish Draw (or support Inkscape) and give true OneNote replacement. If it works it will be first real step for throwing MS away.

zridling:
Another, more detailed mockup.

Tuxman:
I wonder what all that "drop UIs users are used to" stuff is about. There are several good reasons that the current UI has been consistent for so long...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version