ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Browser Wars Mega Review ...

<< < (3/3)

allen:
Opera needs to fix the few rendering issues it has with street-web, then somehow initiate a large media blitz. Perhaps millions in advertising is the only way. But then how are they going to make money? Beats me. They have some commercial interests in embedded and PDA environments, so maybe that'll save them.
-db90h (February 22, 2006, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fortunately for Opera Software, they do have their fingers in other things -- particularly embedded and mobile systems -- this is what has largely kept them afloat and what has sustained them after pulling the plug on charging for Opera.  This is also why Opera has been able to develop such amazing software without having to "win" the browser war.  While the desktop Opera browser may very well be their public application, a business card of sorts, I don't think for a moment it's their primary source of income.

That said, Nintendo recently announced they were going to be releasing Opera for their DS game system -- and I'd be willing to bet Opera for their upcoming "Revolution" is a thusly-unspoken part of the deal.

Opera's a beautiful application, there's a certain elegance to her you just don't find elsewhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version