ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let's try to create our own suite for internet security.

<< < (4/13) > >>

cyberdiva:
Well, maybe we have our answer for the antivirus/firewall categories.
-superboyac (January 12, 2011, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm under the impression that the Windows firewall was extensively improved for Windows 7 (or perhaps Vista, I'm not sure), but that it's not so good for Windows XP.  Am I mistaken?

cyberdiva:
i don't care what kind of bad stuff.  But if I need multiple programs to deal with the multiple kinds of bad stuff, that's fine.  My goal is simply to cover all bases and I'll use the proper lingo when necessary.
-superboyac (January 12, 2011, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is designed to supplement what an AV program does and to catch the things most AV programs are likely to miss.  It can be used on demand or (in the Pro version) you can schedule it to run scans at a specific time.  Also, its database is updated multiple times a day.  I've been using it for about two years, and I like the feeling of extra security that it gives me.  Since I rarely if ever have any malware on my computer, I can't say it has made a difference except to my peace of mind.

superboyac:
i don't care what kind of bad stuff.  But if I need multiple programs to deal with the multiple kinds of bad stuff, that's fine.  My goal is simply to cover all bases and I'll use the proper lingo when necessary.
-superboyac (January 12, 2011, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is designed to supplement what an AV program does and to catch the things most AV programs are likely to miss.  It can be used on demand or (in the Pro version) you can schedule it to run scans at a specific time.  Also, its database is updated multiple times a day.  I've been using it for about two years, and I like the feeling of extra security that it gives me.  Since I rarely if ever have any malware on my computer, I can't say it has made a difference except to my peace of mind.
-cyberdiva (January 12, 2011, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Same here.  i like having it around.  i really like these programs that "play nice" with your other security software.  I know years ago, the rule was to NEVER EVER install multiple security software on the same machine because all sorts of things would go wrong.  Is that still the case?  I hope not, because all these programs do things a little differently, and it would be great to have a large toolbox of effective, overlapping, redundant software that wouldn't screw up your pc.  It's nonsense that you can't have two antivirus programs installed.  I understand not having two AV programs doing real-time scanning, but you should be able to have as many on-demand programs as possible.  The developers should design their stuff in a way to allow for this.

f0dder:
Well, maybe we have our answer for the antivirus/firewall categories.
-superboyac (January 12, 2011, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm under the impression that the Windows firewall was extensively improved for Windows 7 (or perhaps Vista, I'm not sure), but that it's not so good for Windows XP.  Am I mistaken?
-cyberdiva (January 12, 2011, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
It was introduced with XP SP2, and it was just fine back then - what you really need is incoming stuff blocked, and the XP firewall does that just fine.

AndyM:
> on-demand scanning
this is one part of the picture I don't get.  I assume that my AV program will catch a bad file or email either when it appears on my system or when I go to open it.  I can see wanting to be able to double-check something suspiscious before opening it, but why wouldn't this be pretty much unnecessary, belt & suspenders?
-AndyM (January 12, 2011, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
With all due respect, I don't see why anyone would argue against this.  It's not uncommon for something to get past your initial defenses.  So, yes, it would be nice if you could double-check or just check something that you feel is suspicious.  I don't see why someone wouldn't want to have that ability.  Is it the extra software installation that you don't like?  The space it takes up?  The memory it uses?  I don't understand why you wouldn't want this.  it doesn't hurt anything, it only helps.
-superboyac (January 12, 2011, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh I wouldn't *not* want it, I'm just wondering if it would be a factor of primary or secondary importance.  I actually am a belt & suspenders guy, but I don't normally use the context menu selection to scan a file or email (if I have any doubt I'm more likely to just delete it).  I suppose the automatic checking could break, but if the av software scanned the file when it appeared and didn't find anything, why would it find it the second time through?

Do you manually scan many files?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version