ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let's try to create our own suite for internet security.

<< < (3/13) > >>

superboyac:
Does MSE have good on-demand scanning?  Like, can I right-click a folder/file and scan it real quick?

On a related note, what are some recommended on-demand scanning for antivirus, malware, etc.?

AndyM:
> on-demand scanning

this is one part of the picture I don't get.  I assume that my AV program will catch a bad file or email either when it appears on my system or when I go to open it.  I can see wanting to be able to double-check something suspiscious before opening it, but why wouldn't this be pretty much unnecessary, belt & suspenders?

timns:
Does MSE have good on-demand scanning?  Like, can I right-click a folder/file and scan it real quick?

On a related note, what are some recommended on-demand scanning for antivirus, malware, etc.?
-superboyac (January 12, 2011, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes it does have on-demand...

superboyac:
> on-demand scanning
this is one part of the picture I don't get.  I assume that my AV program will catch a bad file or email either when it appears on my system or when I go to open it.  I can see wanting to be able to double-check something suspiscious before opening it, but why wouldn't this be pretty much unnecessary, belt & suspenders?
-AndyM (January 12, 2011, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
With all due respect, I don't see why anyone would argue against this.  It's not uncommon for something to get past your initial defenses.  So, yes, it would be nice if you could double-check or just check something that you feel is suspicious.  I don't see why someone wouldn't want to have that ability.  Is it the extra software installation that you don't like?  The space it takes up?  The memory it uses?  I don't understand why you wouldn't want this.  it doesn't hurt anything, it only helps.

superboyac:

-superboyac (January 12, 2011, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes it does have on-demand...
-timns (January 12, 2011, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Great.
Next question, is there another on-demand scanner that people prefer?  Or is the MSE one good.  How about on-demand malware scanning, or on-demand scanning programs that might do something better or different than MSE?  I know that sounds vague, but again, I really don't understand the difference between malware, virus, rootkit.  it seems like some products are considered antivirus, others are anti-malware, others are rootkit stuff, etc.  To me, they are all just "bad stuff" that can get on your computer.  That's the only category I care about.  i don't care what kind of bad stuff.  But if I need multiple programs to deal with the multiple kinds of bad stuff, that's fine.  My goal is simply to cover all bases and I'll use the proper lingo when necessary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version