ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let's try to create our own suite for internet security.

<< < (2/13) > >>

f0dder:
MSE for antivirus, windows' built-in firewall, and nothing else (well, AdBlockPlus or AdMuncher - but those aren't really part of "internet security" per se). Stop wasting time, money and CPU + RAM on useless crap.

superboyac:
MSE for antivirus, windows' built-in firewall, and nothing else (well, AdBlockPlus or AdMuncher - but those aren't really part of "internet security" per se). Stop wasting time, money and CPU + RAM on useless crap.
-f0dder (January 12, 2011, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not disagreeing, but can we discuss this a little bit?  I want to explore this in a little more detail.  i'd like to avoid saying, this is the best and that's it.  I'm sure others will have different opinions, no?

But if you're right, that would be a great solution.  However, we are talking about a complete solution.  What do you do if you happen to get a rootkit or anything that was able to get past the "live" defenses?

superboyac:
Also, just because a solution is expensive doesn't mean it's bad.  So once again, i'd like to reiterate: don't disregard a product just because it isn't free.

Darwin:
Also, just because a solution is expensive doesn't mean it's bad.  So once again, i'd like to reiterate: don't disregard a product just because it isn't free.
-superboyac (January 12, 2011, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course, the converse is true as well: just because something is free doesn't mean it's bad!

I'm running MSE 2.0 not because it's free but because it just works and all of the paid alternatives that I have tried bog down my system (caveat: only current paid alternative I've tried in the past year is Vipre). Regarding the firewall, I'm behind a wi-fi router and am running pretty much EXACTLY f0dder's recommendation: MSE 2.x, Windows 7 Firewall, and Ad-Muncher. Haven't had a problem yet.

superboyac:
That's good information.  Well, maybe we have our answer for the antivirus/firewall categories.  Maybe I should categorize that as the real-time protection.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version