ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone else here have an unhealthy fascination with progress bars?

<< < (5/8) > >>

Josh:
I remember writing my first "progress bar" in qbasic. It was nothing more than a scrolling bar that used a counter from 0 to 100 and filled up using the old line(x,y)-(x,y) command. Oh, those were the days!

app103:
One of my unfinished projects is a docking progress bar for your life, so you can keep a progress bar to stare at on your desktop at all times. It's supposed to give you some idea how much longer you are going to live.

One of these days I will finish it, as soon as I can figure how how to make it look awesome.

Renegade:
One of my unfinished projects is a docking progress bar for your life, so you can keep a progress bar to stare at on your desktop at all times. It's supposed to give you some idea how much longer you are going to live.

One of these days I will finish it, as soon as I can figure how how to make it look awesome.
-app103 (January 11, 2011, 10:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha~!

Life Bar or Death Bar?

Life Bar fills up with roses, rainbows and unicorns, while the Death Bar fills up with skulls & crossbones. :D

tomos:
I've also just remembered one of my favorite DailyWTF's - Meaningless Progression. You don't need to be able to understand the code to get the joke.
-Eóin (January 11, 2011, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

this was linked in the comments :)

Link

Daleus:
Hah!

I have that cartoon on my wall.  I do so many software installs in the course of a day, you'd think a progress barr would become JAPB.

I prefer the minimal approach as well, and have often cursed M$ for their animated flying papers that wriggle and float from one folder to another.

For my part, not being a programmer, I have often wondered how the darned things work.  Do they actually measure progress? Is it a percentage of the over all program size that's measured?  Is it the percentage of the number of files that are to be installed?  Does it measure the programmers' perceived notion of how long the install should take?  Does it measure some sort of programmatic "marker" during the install, and then in turn updates the progress bar?

Maybe now someone will be able to answer these questions for me, and I can get on with more important things in my life, such as how they get the tiny grains of sand into that little hourglass, how close to the speed of light does my clothes washer goes on the spin cycle, or perhaps why my cat has a slice of buttered toast stuck her back....

I guess I'm still the retard everyone tells me I am.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version