ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone else here have an unhealthy fascination with progress bars?

<< < (2/8) > >>

superboyac:
Oh, and I've been guilty of inserting delay timers in two installers I've made, because installation was too damn fast... even on the old machines those several years back when I did the software :-[ :-[ :-[
-f0dder (January 11, 2011, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's actually nice!  It makes me a little uncomfortable when it goes by instantly, i always think something went wrong.  (that's what she said)

sorry

f0dder:
That's actually nice!  It makes me a little uncomfortable when it goes by instantly, i always think something went wrong.  (that's what she said)-superboyac (January 11, 2011, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
;)

I wouldn't do that today, though. I've had to install some oldish software not too long ago, and noticed that the installation process should have completed in a couple of seconds... but because the developers decided to show X screenshots/whatever during installation, crossfaded between those sceenshots, and delayed the installation process while doing the crossfade, the install took around a minute. Darn annoying.

Deozaan:
Then this is the game for you!

Progress Quest.

And let's not forget about mouser's excellent flash game, The Horizon of Infinite Space!

steeladept:
Ah, don't get me wrong, I am not for the forced delays, but when an install is going to take some time, I do like something to keep me interested while I wait, that is all.

Deozaan:
I like progress bars too, but that's not because of the bars, but what they represent: Progress!

I love downloading and updating things and seeing these bars fill up because it (usually) means something new to try out and see once it's complete.

I don't care about the bars themselves and in fact they can be frustrating. For example, file transfers in Windows since Vista seem to take WAY too long. And I hate those bars that are just an animated thing that doesn't really go to 100%, or starts over when it gets to 100%. They just indicate that your system hasn't frozen up entirely, but give you no idea how much progress has actually been made on the task or that anything is actually really happening at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version