ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why I love product reviews....written by NON-TECHS

<< < (2/4) > >>

Renegade:
But non-Techies rarely have useful input though.
--- End quote ---

That's not the case in some product areas. Higher end cameras are a good example. Consumer level cheap cameras... Yeah... Useless...

superboyac:
The techies tend to obsess over minor things that hardly anybody cares about.  While they may have valuable things to say about that minor point, they end up writing a lot that ultimately ends up being useless to most people who come across the article.  It's the quantity over quality thing.  It's hard to be consice and to also be able to be sensitive to what most people would care about.  It's the difference in reading a pop magazine (like Time) and an academic journal.  The scientists scoff at Time because they don't get into the hardcore details, and claim it's pop rubbish.  The pop culture crowd picks up an academic journal and thinks, "What the fuck is this, and who gives a shit.  Oh, and it's super boring."

Which is why the most valuable people as far this stuff goes, are those who have a clear grasp on the technical stuff, but also can break down the important points to the non-techies, non-geeks, whatever you want to call them.  Guys like Stephen Fry are very gifted at this.

40hz:
+1 on AnandTech, followed by Phoronix.com  :Thmbsup:

Bamse:
Renegade, with non-techies I was referring to pro and amateurs who don't know what they talk about or worse have agenda guiding them. Could be getting clicks to their site so Google money or affiliate deals kicks in. Attempts to seek "Always flame" label could be part of that of course. Techies don't necessarily have credentials other than they don't blabber too much. Years of experience don't mean crap if you are stupid and not able to consume new knowledge. Did certainly not hint you should look for credentials  :o or if none available what X person say is useless. Closer to the opposite in tech area I think.

superboyac:
Renegade, with non-techies I was referring to pro and amateurs who don't know what they talk about or worse have agenda guiding them. Could be getting clicks to their site so Google money or affiliate deals kicks in. Attempts to seek "Always flame" label could be part of that of course. Techies don't necessarily have credentials other than they don't blabber too much. Years of experience don't mean crap if you are stupid and not able to consume new knowledge. Did certainly not hint you should look for credentials  :o or if none available what X person say is useless. Closer to the opposite in tech area I think.

-Bamse (January 10, 2011, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's true also.  The majority of "reviews" out there are just plain spam.  I mean, the web is inundated with this stuff.  Finding anything is like a needle in a haystack situation.  The only time I actually find stuff is when people refer me to specific links.  Googling hardly gets you anything these days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version