ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Word Processor OS

<< < (6/11) > >>

timns:
It seems odd, I guess, because it's sort of a Luddite, anti-tech dream, but still almost steampunk in its potential to be a work of art. I still have this dream of graphic, old typewriter arms klick-klacking up to the cursor line on the screen, punching an old typewriter font, creating an engaging and immersive typing experience...   :Thmbsup:
-aidan_cage (January 14, 2011, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

... driving the rest of the commuters insane...  :D

Edvard:
Dude, that's so Brazil...  8)

Ok, it sounds like a minimal Linux system on a USB key with an easily-accessible save folder might be just the thing.
Have it start up with a Framebuffer instead of X, don't load any desktop environment and automatically open a graphical text editor.
Should be fairly easy.

I'll do a little research...

Curt:
How about Presto:
http://www.prestomypc.com/

Close. Something similar, but simpler. Just word processing. -aidan_cage (January 10, 2011, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
-timns (January 10, 2011, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

You don't get it any simpler or faster than Presto!

Presto is based on Linux, installs into a folder on XP/Vista (no Win7), and can be adjusted just like you want it to. If you know how to operate Linux, Presto can be micromized according to your needs.

It has been abandoned for way more than a year - no support - but a number of users are ("were"; the forum is of course also dying; last post was in Nov. 2010) quite happy with Presto. Sadly, a full key still is $20, but the trial is fair; you may test it for seven days, and after the trial period Presto continues to work without a key, but then only for ten minutes at a time.

FAQ: http://www.prestomypc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=505

Deozaan:
It has been abandoned for way more than a year - no support - but a number of users are ("were"; the forum is of course also dying; last post was in Nov. 2010) quite happy with Presto. Sadly, a full key still is $20, but the trial is fair;-Curt (January 15, 2011, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's been abandoned but they're still selling it? :huh:

40hz:
It has been abandoned for way more than a year - no support - but a number of users are ("were"; the forum is of course also dying; last post was in Nov. 2010) quite happy with Presto. Sadly, a full key still is $20, but the trial is fair;-Curt (January 15, 2011, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's been abandoned but they're still selling it? :huh:
-Deozaan (January 15, 2011, 05:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Talk about an innovative business model!

I like it!  :Thmbsup: ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version