ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Word Processor OS

(1/11) > >>

aidan_cage:
Does anyone know of something pre existing, or would it be possible to create a simple operating system that can be booted from the BIOS, and that simply launches a fullscreen notepad that can save files to the root harddrive? It's pretty key that it offer nothing more; any distraction would ruin it. If the user wants to load a browser to check a definition, then facebook, then play a quick flash game, etc., onward to procrastinationland, then they would first have to shutdown and boot back into the main OS.

This is a dream of mine: to push my computer to do only what I need to do, despite what I might want to do, or just decide to do, etc. Typewriter soundsets, like in WriteMonkey, would be an added bonus ;)

Any thoughts on feasibility, or similar concepts in the wild?

Renegade:
The first electronic typewriters were like that.

I've not seen anything like it since though.

aidan_cage:
I've thought to chase one down, but it seems silly when something so simple should be emulatable on a netbook

Target:
what about booting to the command line?

you can EDIT, and no doubt there are other CLI editors...

no distractions (unless they waste time drawing ASCII art...)

aidan_cage:
That's worth looking into, but I don't know computers like that. I grew up on an LC II and entered PCs post windows xp..

It's probably not too difficult to figure out, though...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version