ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Spokeo - new stalking social networking site?

<< < (3/3)

Deozaan:
I'm usually pretty good about not giving out personal information on websites and setting privacy controls to the most restrictive, so the information they had about me was outdated and incomplete. They had me at an address I haven't lived at for a couple years now and didn't have my wife listed (even though we both lived at that address at the same time...)

As I said, I was able to opt out fairly easily and without any hassle (except for creating a fake e-mail address for the opt out process).

I checked out some of my family and it's a bit more scary in some cases. Photos of the front of their house, with their cars in the driveway (from Google Street View, I'm sure).

Also, I've heard from a friend that if you are listed multiple times, they tell you that "in order to prevent abuse" they can only accept so many opt-out requests from the same e-mail address. He's more web savvy than I am. He says he ended up having to use multiple e-mail addresses and multiple IPs to remove them all.

Spokeo sure is spooky-o indeed!

seems to only be for usa-tomos (January 10, 2011, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I thought the OP said that so I didn't mention it, but I guess I was mistaken. I've updated my post to reflect that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version