ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

That NANY badge

<< < (12/21) > >>

worstje:
I prefer the old style (is that hamradio's?) as it is very iconic and simply breathes nany to me. It is styleful and as much an identity of NANY as Cody is of DoCo.

The gradient variety is unreadable to me, sorry, and I completely vote against it. DoCo blue, while nice, doesn't come through nicely in an image that size and all I saw was ugly cyan, a color I personally hate and that also makes for hard-to-read text if said text is anything but black.

I am with mouser and CodeTRUCKER both regarding the badge colour thing. I mean this in the sense I think different shades are a great idea, as the current state of certain peoples badges (you know who you are!) are just spammish in nature and more of a 'let me show off' thing rather than a 'look I competed here and there and there'. It's the same reason why more than one successive emoticon drives me crap. :) 8) ;) :( :D >:( :tellme: :o :huh: See?

The idea of different colors per year is great, and I think different shades per entry status are also great. However, I don't think we need an 'admin' badge since they're unattainable for most people. After all mouser is already in a category of his own, no need to add 6 more. ;) Likewise, the 'helper' is a bit unclear as to what it would mean. Helping organise? Helping bug test apps? Etc.

However, I think two badges per year should be the total top ever. One for entrants, and one for 'alternative participants'. I haven't got much of a clue for it, but the idea is that app writers can simply nominate people who made a useful contribution to their app (beta testing, etc) and that these people deserve this badge.

The biggest change I think is needed is that instead of  having '01' on the current awesome NANY icon, it needs to become the last two digits of the year. It simply makes way more sense and will do more to distinguish different badges than anything else.

Perry Mowbray:
I prefer the old style (is that hamradio's?) as it is very iconic and simply breathes nany to me. It is styleful and as much an identity of NANY as Cody is of DoCo.-worstje (January 16, 2011, 07:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

But funnily enough: I found it harder to read  :(  But I'm not too fussed on which style is chosen...

The idea of different colors per year is great, and I think different shades per entry status are also great. However, I don't think we need an 'admin' badge since they're unattainable for most people. After all mouser is already in a category of his own, no need to add 6 more. ;) Likewise, the 'helper' is a bit unclear as to what it would mean. Helping organise? Helping bug test apps? Etc.

However, I think two badges per year should be the total top ever. One for entrants, and one for 'alternative participants'. I haven't got much of a clue for it, but the idea is that app writers can simply nominate people who made a useful contribution to their app (beta testing, etc) and that these people deserve this badge.
-worstje (January 16, 2011, 07:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a nice idea... Entrants get a full colour badge, helpers/volunteers get a 50% colour and admin get's grey

To tell you the truth, I always felt that I shouldn't really have a NANY badge at all (I still have not managed a completed entry  :( )... and having a grey one would make me feel much better about it  :)

and yes: the recommendations on volunteers was that anyone that helped with the entry should be credited at the top of the Thread.

40hz:
I was thinking that the number of times you participated in NANY might be considered more important than which year it happened in. Maybe what you could try is to provide two badges. One to indicate you participated either in any NANY - or possibly just the most recent. The second badge could then have a changeable numeric element to acknowledge the times someone's participated. Doing it this way eliminates the need for a multiple badges to show the same thing.

As long as there's a "Hall of Fame" of Honor Roll type page with the names and the years of participation, anybody who wanted could just look it up if they were that interested.

But again, I don't think it's so important what year somebody did NANY. IMO what's important  is the fact someone did it at all. And additional distinction comes from how many times the effort was repeated.

Just thinking out loud.

superboyac:
I was thinking that the number of times you participated in NANY might be considered more important than which year it happened in. Maybe what you could try is to provide two badges. One to indicate you participated either in any NANY - or possibly just the most recent. The second badge could then have a changeable numeric element to acknowledge the times someone's participated. Doing it this way eliminates the need for a multiple badges to show the same thing.

As long as there's a "Hall of Fame" of Honor Roll type page with the names and the years of participation, anybody who wanted could just look it up if they were that interested.

But again, I don't think it's so important what year somebody did NANY. IMO what's important  is the fact someone did it at all. And additional distinction comes from how many times the effort was repeated.

Just thinking out loud.
-40hz (January 16, 2011, 08:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1
I was thinking while this thread was going on, it looks kind of funny to have a lot of those (very similar) badges in your avatar area.

mouser:
The second badge could then have a changeable numeric element to acknowledge the times someone's participated.
--- End quote ---

that's an interesting idea, and feasible.  though i think just one nany badge in that case, with a number indicating how many times you've participated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version