ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Fast/Responsive programs: An official SuperboyAC list

(1/7) > >>

superboyac:
OK, I made this list to keep track of programs that I think are very quick and responsive.  This is one of my biggest hangups with programs.  Probably more than anything else, I just love it when the program reacts very quickly to things like mouse clicks and other movements.  I don't like slow programs that feel sluggish.  So this thread has nothing to do with the quality of the program or the functions they perform.  It simply acknowledges those that are just fast, which is nice.
(I'll format this better later, but I just wanted to get it started)
CintaNotes
MyLife Organized
Light Alloy
XYPlorer
EditPad (not sure yet)
EDGE Diagrammer
Sumatra PDF
LaunchBar Commander
Search Everything
List Numberer

Feel free to leave your suggestions.  if I agree, I'll include it.

Below, I will list my specific criteria for these programs.  It will include things like:
Fast startup times
No sluggish lags when you click on something and wait for the action to take place.  I need a better way to say that.  For example, I hate it when there are things like hidden sliding containers that pop out with a mouse-over, and you have to wait for a second or two until the thing pops out.  I want it to pop in and out instantly!  It makes me happy when i experience that and makes me want to keep using the program.

timns:
Find and Run Robot
WinAmp

I would argue about Search Everything - it must have some terrible sort algorithm. Have you seen how long it takes to sort only a few thousand filenames?

cyberdiva:
I too would question including Search Everything.  I love the program, but I think it used to be faster than it is now.  It's very fast once it does its survey of the computer, but that takes longer than I remember it taking in the past.

superboyac:
Well, as far as Search Everything's indexing of the drive, I don't hold that against it.  Why?  Because if it takes it 10 seconds to scan 3+ TB of files, I consider that rather amazing.  I'll consider taking it off...I'm just not convinced right now.

40hz:
I'd add Flashnote for the people who want a quick pop-up note taking app but prefer a more traditional dual-pane text/folder structure to the 'piano roll + tags' approach found in CintaNotes or Evernote.

Info and download here.

Note: I much prefer CintaNotes myself.

--------------

And for the techies out there, the marvelously named Angry IP Scanner.

Angry IP Scanner (or simply ipscan) is an open-source and cross-platform network scanner designed to be fast and simple to use. It scans IP addresses and ports as well as has many other features.

It is widely used by network administrators and just curious users around the world, including large and small enterprises, banks, and government agencies.

It runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X, possibly supporting other platforms as well.
--- End quote ---

Fast/Responsive programs: An official SuperboyAC list

Grab a copy here. 8) :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version