ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Fast/Responsive programs: An official SuperboyAC list

<< < (7/7)

zridling:
Good to see that Mozilla is "putting the squeeze on slow Firefox add-ons":
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/03/mozilla_cracks_down_on_add_ons_that_slow_firefox/

With a blog post on Friday, Mozilla said that within the next two weeks, it will add a warning to any add-on that slows Firefox's startup time by more than 25 per cent, and in an upcoming version of the browser, third-party add-ons will not be installed unless the user specifically approves the installation.

"It’s an all-too-common practice of third-party software to install toolbars and other bundled add-ons in your browser without permission," Mozilla says. "We know that these add-ons account for many of the performance problems reported to us, and users often don’t know how the add-on got there or how to remove it." Requiring approval for the installation of all add-ons, Mozilla believes, will have a "huge impact" on performance.

40hz:
@40hz: how do you rate Tomahawk / Tomahawk Gold against PolyEdit and Softmaker's TextMaker?
-rjbull (April 03, 2011, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not too familiar with PolyEdit.

I'd put Tomahawk on par with TextMaker for useful features. Either one should do fine for most people.

I have both. I like both.

I have a very slight preference for Tomahawk - although not for any good reason I can put my finger on. It's probably only because I've used it longer than TextMaker. I can be a putz like that at times. :redface:

Note: occasionally Softmaker puts their 'complete' office suite license on sale for about the same price as Tomahawk. If you want a nice spreadsheet to go with your wordprocessor, grab it when you see it hovering in the $35 range.

8)

rjbull:
I'd put Tomahawk on par with TextMaker for useful features [...] I have a very slight preference for Tomahawk - although not for any good reason I can put my finger on.-40hz (April 05, 2011, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know the feeling...  :-[

occasionally Softmaker puts their 'complete' office suite license on sale for about the same price as Tomahawk. If you want a nice spreadsheet to go with your wordprocessor, grab it when you see it hovering in the $35 range.
--- End quote ---

I started with Softmaker 2006, which is free, updated to 2008 when that was briefly free, and when they sent an offer on 2010, I broke and finally spent money...  Good product, and as a bonus came on a USB stick.  Not sure which of these (or Jarte) would best qualify as fast/responsive, though.

MilesAhead:
Thanks 40hz!
I have quickly fallen in love with CintaNotes.  For all of you that are hanging on to the old Evernote v2.2 since Evernote v3 went all cloud on us, CintaNotes is your replacement.  Look no further.  And it's portable, so it will definitely find a nice home on your flash drive.
-superboyac (January 07, 2011, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm giving it a try now myself.  I'm using a TreePad file for general tips I type to myself. But for snapping up a script off a forum this seems nice. I'm trying out the CintaNotes portable.

cmpm:
Softmaker 2008 is still free.

http://freebiest.com/software/free-full-license-softmaker-office-2008-windows-mac.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version