topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Fast/Responsive programs: An official SuperboyAC list  (Read 20930 times)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fast/Responsive programs: An official SuperboyAC list
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 09:33 PM »
I use this beta 'Everything' since XP and now with W7.
It's at the bottom of the page.
Been working fine to me anyway.

http://www.voidtools.com/faq.php

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 10:15 PM »
About Everything be sure you use latest version, not the one on frontpage. Check changlog at forum section "Announcement". . . One of those I wish would go payware to be honest.
Thanks for this info.  From time to time I've simply used Everything's "Check for Updates," and I've always been told that the version I'm using (1.2.1.371) is up to date.  After reading your message, I went to the forum site and found a download for version 1.2.1.451a, but then I saw that it's an alpha (I normally avoid alphas) and it was released in November 2009!  So what's the story?  Is it stable?  Are they still working on it?  Like you, I'd gladly pay money for this program.  However, since that's apparently not possible, I'd just like to be sure that I'm not trading a stable version for one that still isn't even in beta.   :huh:

FWIW, I've been using it since the alpha was available, (or very shortly after), and it has never been the cause of a problem on either XP when I was running it or Win7 now.

And it adds a few useful new features.

The author only works on it in his spare time and is doing a major rewrite of it AFAIK, it's an often asked question in the forum.

There's also a version available that creates static databases, good for when you want to catalog offline media.  Get it here.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:43 PM by 4wd »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 01:43 AM »
Unfortunately for old XP users with FAT32 have no option to use voidtools. :(

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 10:33 AM »
@rjbull - thanks for the mention of TED. I took a quick scan of the features list and was quite impressed. I've been looking for something that was small, made extensive use of key combos, and offered word completion.

Thanks!  :)  Sadly, TED Notepad's word completion only works on the basis of the document in hand.  I.e., you have to write a bit before it can pick up your previous text and use it as the basis for completion.  There's no independent standing word list, which limits its usefulness.  For free-standing word expanders/completers/correctors, take a look at Typing Assistant.    Typing Assistant is one of Bits du Jour's Every-Day Deals (30% off, it's about the third or fourth page down) and it's been on offer at DC in the past.  Alternatively, Comfort Software's Comfort Keys or Comfort Typing, with a different feature set, or Phrase Express, one version of which is free for personal use.

I should add, Typing Assistant (the one I currently use) meets superboyac's criteria for speed etc.  It's modestly priced, and has portable as well as installer flavours.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:35 AM by rjbull »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 03:23 PM »
Tomahawk series of wordprocessors available from Native Winds LLC.
[...]
their commercial ($36 USD) product Tomahawk Gold [...] At $36 per license it's probably one of the biggest software bargains out there.

@40hz: how do you rate Tomahawk / Tomahawk Gold against PolyEdit and Softmaker's TextMaker?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 05:07 AM »
Good to see that Mozilla is "putting the squeeze on slow Firefox add-ons":
http://www.theregist...s_that_slow_firefox/

With a blog post on Friday, Mozilla said that within the next two weeks, it will add a warning to any add-on that slows Firefox's startup time by more than 25 per cent, and in an upcoming version of the browser, third-party add-ons will not be installed unless the user specifically approves the installation.

"It’s an all-too-common practice of third-party software to install toolbars and other bundled add-ons in your browser without permission," Mozilla says. "We know that these add-ons account for many of the performance problems reported to us, and users often don’t know how the add-on got there or how to remove it." Requiring approval for the installation of all add-ons, Mozilla believes, will have a "huge impact" on performance.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 12:20 PM »
@40hz: how do you rate Tomahawk / Tomahawk Gold against PolyEdit and Softmaker's TextMaker?

Not too familiar with PolyEdit.

I'd put Tomahawk on par with TextMaker for useful features. Either one should do fine for most people.

I have both. I like both.

I have a very slight preference for Tomahawk - although not for any good reason I can put my finger on. It's probably only because I've used it longer than TextMaker. I can be a putz like that at times. :redface:

Note: occasionally Softmaker puts their 'complete' office suite license on sale for about the same price as Tomahawk. If you want a nice spreadsheet to go with your wordprocessor, grab it when you see it hovering in the $35 range.

8)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:03 PM by 40hz »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 03:02 PM »
I'd put Tomahawk on par with TextMaker for useful features [...] I have a very slight preference for Tomahawk - although not for any good reason I can put my finger on.

I know the feeling...  :-[

occasionally Softmaker puts their 'complete' office suite license on sale for about the same price as Tomahawk. If you want a nice spreadsheet to go with your wordprocessor, grab it when you see it hovering in the $35 range.

I started with Softmaker 2006, which is free, updated to 2008 when that was briefly free, and when they sent an offer on 2010, I broke and finally spent money...  Good product, and as a bonus came on a USB stick.  Not sure which of these (or Jarte) would best qualify as fast/responsive, though.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Thanks 40hz!
I have quickly fallen in love with CintaNotes.  For all of you that are hanging on to the old Evernote v2.2 since Evernote v3 went all cloud on us, CintaNotes is your replacement.  Look no further.  And it's portable, so it will definitely find a nice home on your flash drive.

I'm giving it a try now myself.  I'm using a TreePad file for general tips I type to myself. But for snapping up a script off a forum this seems nice. I'm trying out the CintaNotes portable.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 06:34 AM »
Softmaker 2008 is still free.

http://freebiest.com...008-windows-mac.html