ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred server OS for home use? And Why?

<< < (2/13) > >>

Eóin:
Windows Server 2008 R2 because it's free for students and is just sooooo easy to manage.

If I were setting up a web facing server I'd prob go Linux or *BSD. Actually I'd almost certainly go OpenBSD for geek browny points  :D

superboyac:
Windows Server 2008 R2 because it's free for students and is just sooooo easy to manage.

If I were setting up a web facing server I'd prob go Linux or *BSD. Actually I'd almost certainly go OpenBSD for geek browny points  :D
-Eóin (January 04, 2011, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks.

Eóin:
BTW, one big plus for Windows Server over a desktop Win OS is that it supports RAID setups. Pretty much all ours does at home is act as a file server tbh.

Stoic Joker:
Windows Server 2008 R2 because it's free for students and is just sooooo easy to manage.-Eóin (January 04, 2011, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm MCSA in both Win2k & 2k3, and yet I still spend half the time working with 2k8 trying to figure out where the hell they moved stuff to. I think they got a little too cute with the interface; the new IIS really drives me nutz. The old one was fine (UI wise) what was the point of scattering stuff everywhere hidden behind little pictures?!?

I'll get used to it eventually, and really like parts of it ... But I'll bitch about the rest in the interim... ;)

Eóin:
Well I only started playing with Win Server OSes with Server 2008, so i guess I started from a clean slate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version