ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred server OS for home use? And Why?

(1/13) > >>

superboyac:
I'm curious because I will build one this year.  I'm leaning towards Windows Server.  But I know a lot of people will say that is overkill.  I don't know.  WHS sounds good, but I don't need any of the built in features because I'm a 3rd party software kind of person anyway.

Part of my question is, what does a server OS do that a regular OS doesn't do (like Windows 7, XP)?  i mean,r eally, what's the difference?  I'm guessing it has to do with handling a lot of drives, right?  I know my XP machine starting acting weird once I attached more than 5 drives to it.

So that's what all this is about.  I'm trying to choose a server OS for home.

Josh:
The difference between a workstation and a server is the allocation of resources. In a workstation, more priority is given to running applications while on a server more is given to background services. Non-essential addons (themes, various client services, etc) are cut out in a server environment and a focus is placed on availability versus usability.

I use Server 2008 R2 for most of my work. I do have a dedicated server setup running pfSense and another experimental one running centos and testing out apache on with a few specialized configurations for certain projects I am working on. Other than that, I rely on WS2008R2 Core (for the most part).

f0dder:
Linux - because it's gratis (I used to have a lot of spare time).

AndyM:
... what does a server OS do that a regular OS doesn't do (like Windows 7, XP)? ...
-superboyac (February 06, 1974, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
The difference between a workstation and a server is the allocation of resources. ...
-Josh (January 04, 2011, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is this a function of the hardware or the OS?

Josh:
The OS allocates resources as demanded by users or applications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version