ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it possible to have a future without a .NET-style takeover?

<< < (6/8) > >>

Edvard:
Why not something like Python or Ruby?
Sure, it's not going to cross over easily from your previous knowledge of Basic, but it fits the bill for easy-to-learn with just enough power to get things done.

Also, at risk of finding myself within critical ballistic trajectory of kinetically impelled mephitic S. Lycopersicum fruiting bodies, let me suggest something more advanced but along the lines of what you asked for: A community-based and maintained programming language...

D
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html
D is a systems programming language. Its focus is on combining the power and high performance of C and C++ with the programmer productivity of modern languages like Ruby and Python. Special attention is given to the needs of quality assurance, documentation, management, portability and reliability.

The D language is statically typed and compiles directly to machine code. It’s multiparadigm, supporting many programming styles: imperative, object oriented, and metaprogramming. It’s a member of the C syntax family, and its appearance is very similar to that of C++.

--- End quote ---

Although virtually unknown except for a few folks who appreciate what it's trying to do, it fits your idea of a language somewhere between "Those from academia with radical new paradigms and those from large corporations with a focus on RAD and the web."
A steeper learning curve than your beloved VB of course, but HEY; while we're being different and all, why not give it a look-see?

Eóin:
I would imagine D is a wonderful language, it's probably the language C++ should be. But then it's not C++, so it doesn't have the anywhere near the same level of compiler support or library breath.

kyrathaba:
Microsoft's Shared Source CLI (codenamed "Rotor") enables .NET application development on Mac and FreeBSD.  Couple this with Mono, and you've got four of the most common platforms that can be targeted by .NET apps.  I confess Mono is unfinished (yet very nice, even at its current incarnation).

Renegade:
Microsoft's Shared Source CLI (codenamed "Rotor") enables .NET application development on Mac and FreeBSD.  Couple this with Mono, and you've got four of the most common platforms that can be targeted by .NET apps.  I confess Mono is unfinished (yet very nice, even at its current incarnation).
-kyrathaba (January 06, 2011, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ahem...

Date Published:
11/5/2002

Pretty useless in 2011.

It would have been nice to see MS maintain it though. But, then I suppose that's why we have Portable.NET and Mono now.

Semi-related -- I just saw that a bunch of namespaces I'd like to use are not available in MonoDroid, e.g. System.Drawing. :(

kyrathaba:
Wow, I'd have figured they'd have ported the Drawing namespace as a top-priority...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version