ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it possible to have a future without a .NET-style takeover?

<< < (7/8) > >>

Renegade:
Wow, I'd have figured they'd have ported the Drawing namespace as a top-priority...
-kyrathaba (January 06, 2011, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, there's Android.Drawing, but it's just not the same. I need to do more investigation though. Spent a few hours the other day on it, but it doesn't look like I can reuse some code.

The available assemblies are (in MonoDroid):

I18N.CJK.dll
I18N.dll
I18N.MidEast.dll
I18N.Other.dll
I18N.Rare.dll
I18N.West.dll
Mono.Android.dll
Mono.Cairo.dll
Mono.CompilerServices.SymbolWriter.dll
Mono.Data.Sqlite.dll
Mono.Data.Tds.dll
Mono.Security.dll
mscorlib.dll
OpenTK.dll
OpenTK.xml
System.Core.dll
System.Data.dll
System.dll
System.Json.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.ServiceModel.dll
System.ServiceModel.Web.dll
System.Transactions.dll
System.Web.Services.dll
System.Xml.dll
System.Xml.Linq.dll

Docs here:

http://docs.monodroid.net/

Problem is stuff like this:

Bitmap   Documentation for this section has not yet been entered.
Bitmap.CompressFormat   Specifies the known formats a bitmap can be compressed into
Bitmap.Config   Documentation for this section has not yet been entered.
BitmapFactory   Creates Bitmap objects from various sources, including files, streams, and byte-arrays.
BitmapFactory.Options   Documentation for this section has not yet been entered.
BitmapShader   Documentation for this section has not yet been entered.
--- End quote ---

:(

Makes using it kind of tough.

wraith808:
VB.NET is trivial to learn. I think it's great to start with.-Renegade (January 06, 2011, 06:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why start with a lobotomy and then later on try to reverse it's effects? :)
-f0dder (January 06, 2011, 07:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

VB.NET I've found is as different from classic VB as night is to day.  Ok, maybe an exaggeration, but it's not the same animal.  I find that it doesn't irritate my OOP sensitivities as much as classic VB does, though.

f0dder:
VB.Net is very different from classic VB, but it's still not good - while it's a fullblown OOP language, the syntax is still... ugh.

kyrathaba:
Yeah, the syntax is ... kludgy.  Necessarily so, as they were aiming to make it easy for people to move over from VB6, which also has a kludgy syntax.  The reason they had to make VB.NET was to minimize hue-and-outcry from the thousands of devoted VB6ers out there.

wraith808:
^ If that was minimalization, then I would hate to see what would have happened had they not done that LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version