ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it possible to have a future without a .NET-style takeover?

(1/8) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
I have to admit that returning to my VB skills via VB/C#.NET is intriguing, but when you have been burned, or more accurately, when you know someone who has been burned by the lack of commitment from Microsoft, it makes you not want to play with those matches, eh?

Specifically, I followed a developer for several years as he moved form one VB iteration after another until climaxing with VB6 which he and (millions of others which I am not personally acquainted) had their world shaken badly by the proprietary and unexpected act of dropping VB6 and going to .NET.  Know any other war stories about this?

I guess what I am really after is a tool that is as good as the pre-dot-Net Visual Studio environment that might insulate me from the whims of the Boyz in the (Redmond) Hood?

... or am I am I living in la-la land?  :huh:

worstje:
La la la la la la la la. :D

I am with you, although I hate any iteration of VB past and present. Modern IDEs are often 'redesigned from the ground up' and you notice because they dump half the features and add stuff nobody really cares about.

Renegade:
I think you're in la-la-land.

The move to .NET was not MS "dropping" VB. It was MS moving to the new paradigm for the future. The old paradigm was outdated.

The CLI is a fundamentally different and better way to do things.

MS is usually very good with backward compatibility, so the break there says something that is inherently against their character.

I wouldn't say a ".NET-style takeover", but I would say a "CLI-style takeover", which I am hoping for. 

Let's beat that horse some more...

GO MONO~! :D

f0dder:
had their world shaken badly by the proprietary and unexpected act of dropping VB6 and going to .NET.  Know any other war stories about this?-CodeTRUCKER (January 03, 2011, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Eh?

VB6 is from 1998. As of March 2008 it has entered MS's unssuported phase. And that's about time, really - there's a lot of things that are horribly, horribly wrong with VB. 10 years is (way) enough.

40hz:

GO MONO~! :D
-Renegade (January 03, 2011, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seriously bad idea.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version