ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 :: The Event Closes

(1/5) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
DonationCoder's
New Year
Software Celebration

Welcome to DonationCoder's month long Super Celebration of Software!

N.A.N.Y. 2011
NANY '11 has closed and we're busily going through the entries with a fine tooth comb to package them up for the grand unveiling toward the end of January 2011. In the meantime you can see all the Entries on the NANY 2011 board.

We tried something new with this year's NANY: in an effort to maximise the fun and productivity of the event we decided to start NANY midway through the year giving the coders the ability to start the process early and aim to build a substantial new project. And it's certainly been exciting to see activity increase on the NANY board through the year. Many coders posted Teasers both to whet the appetites of the members and to get feedback on their projects.

The end of the year is often a hectic time, which only increases the challenge to complete the NANY Entry. Some Pledges have been fulfilled early whilst others have had to be withdrawn due to other commitments and other Pledges have remained open or not progressed past the Teaser stage but will hopefully be developed later.

From my perspective NANY 2011 has been a wonderful success that has allowed greater flexibility in the Event. 47 Pledges through the year is huge, and to get 31 completed NANY's is an awesome achievement that the DC community can be very proud about!

Releases

* NANY 2011 Release: AskAPic.com
* NANY 2011 Release: Auspex
* NANY 2011 Release: Bard
* NANY 2011 Release: BlackJack
* NANY 2011 Release: CardCreator
* NANY 2011 Release: Cautomaton
* NANY 2011 Release: Color Warlock
* NANY 2011 Release: Crush Sniffer
* NANY 2011 Release: DCDisplay
* NANY 2011 Release: Duplicate Photo Deleter
* NANY 2011 Release: Ethervane Radio
* NANY 2011 Release: FindColor
* NANY 2011 Release: Goodness
* NANY 2011 Release: JottiQ
* NANY 2011 Release: LinkToText
* NANY 2011 Release: List Numberer
* NANY 2011 Release: Llama Tray
* NANY 2011 Release: NANY Excuse Manager
* NANY 2011 Release: NetLauncher
* NANY 2011 Release: Park Cursor Aside
* NANY 2011 Release: Partial Download
* NANY 2011 Release: Quick Cliq
* NANY 2011 Release: Snap DB
* NANY 2011 Release: Speed Monitor
* NANY 2011 Release: TaskDaddy
* NANY 2011 Release: Ten Timer
* NANY 2011 Release: Treat Yourself Nicely
* NANY 2011 Release: UpdateVersion
* NANY 2011 Release: UQ Web Service
* NANY 2011 Release: Webcam Diary
* NANY 2011 Release: WordCaster
Teasers (Unfinished - though look out for updates and late completions)

* NANY 2011 Teaser: ContactFX
* NANY 2011 Teaser: Scion Character Manager
* NANY 2011 Teaser: SpeedTracker
* NANY 2011 Teaser: WhirlyWord
Pledges (Unfinished)

* NANY 2011 Pledge: Backup Verification Utility
* NANY 2011 Pledge: FScript2
* NANY 2011 Pledge: MyHelp
* NANY 2011 Pledge: Reliable File Watcher Batcher Robot
* NANY 2011 Pledge: Teddy Pro
* NANY 2011 Pledge: VegieWorld
Withdrawn Pledges

* NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Apps Something
* NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Backup Verification Utility
* NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Deozone
* NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Dominion Rules Character Creator
* NANY 2011 Withdrawn: LogFileParser
* NANY 2011 Withdrawn: ProtoCards
* NANY 2011 Withdrawn: SAMSA
Huge Software Give-a-way

As part of the New Year Celebration we've been joined by some very generous software developers who are offering full licenses to their professional programmes! This software has been specially selected to enable our hard working coders (and their helpers) to produce high quality packages.

* Help & Manual Pro: Documentation Authoring
* Dr Explain: Help Authoring
* Axialis IconWorkshop Professional: Icon Creation
* Camtasia Studio 7: Screen recorder
* BB FlashBack Pro: Screen recorder
* Sagelight Image Editor: Graphics Editor
More details will be posted in the next couple of days...

A Word About DonationCoder

DonationCoder.com is a site for people who love computer software, and like the idea of supporting each other's work through donations - it's funded entirely by individuals who join the site. Since its founding in 2005, the site has grown steadily and has well over 200,000 registered members from around the world. Of course it's free to sign up at our site and join in on the community forums. Our DonationCredits system was designed to make it as easy as possible for users to make small donations to specific authors and fellow site members (read more about our DonationCredits here: https://www.donationcoder.com/Donate/Credits.php).

The programmers at DonationCoder.com are dedicated to providing professional quality software and professional quality support; other DonationCoder.com members are active in the forums reviewing and discussing all types of computer and software issues.

The New Apps for the New Year event was started as a fun way of celebrating the New Year. Dubbed NANY (New Apps for the New Year), this experiment has become a yearly tradition on the site, and represents the playful and generous spirit of the site and the people who visit it.  The event celebrates the joy of programming and is open to coders of any ability, whether they are regular members of the site or not.  All participants receive a mug featuring our beloved bird/duck mascot Cody -- there are no winners or losers.

Perry Mowbray:
Just wanted to add a huge THANK YOU to the DC community for helping make this year's NANY another amazing experience... and success!!

I think the new (longer) format worked well, certainly 47 Pledges over the event is an amazing number. 50% conversion rate (Pledges -> Releases) is maybe a little less than what I thought... but maybe that was due to the longer format too (longer time = bigger applications = more time for other things to impose: that was my problem) -- I'd be interested to hear your experiences  :)

Although the Event has closed many entrants will continue to update their Entry, and the Teasers that didn't get to the Release stage by 1/1/11 hopefully will get finished in due course (mine included  :-[ )

We've got a great month ahead of us with lots of NANY's to keep us busy and a huge Software Give-Away!! Hope you enjoy it  :Thmbsup:

app103:
If we had started NANY at the same time we did in past years, we would have been less at least the 2 pledges from me. I just could not do anything this year.

I wouldn't look at the number of pledges at all and just concentrate on the number and quality of the resulting apps and compare that to years past.

And there is still a good chance the uncompleted apps and withdrawn pledges may result in apps at some point in the future, so while they can't be counted in the Jan 1 batch, they could be worth considering as a partial success somewhere down the line.

All in all, I think this year was great. A lot of interesting and useful stuff here.

Congrats to everyone and thank you for all your hard work!

Perry Mowbray:
And there is still a good chance the uncompleted apps and withdrawn pledges may result in apps at some point in the future, so while they can't be counted in the Jan 1 batch, they could be worth considering as a partial success somewhere down the line.
-app103 (January 01, 2011, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I definitely agree -- I didn't mean to exclude the Pledges and Teasers from "Success". A lot of work and thinking goes into a Pledge (let alone a Beta Teaser) which is not a waste and will more often than not find some sort of outcome in the future.

Renegade:
A "NANY" installer would be interesting. Something to install all NANY software.

But that's probably a bad idea unless people all create an installer that installs to */NANY 2011/author/program name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version