ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Dreamy Monitor...

<< < (2/7) > >>

nudone:
whilst we are discussing multi-monitor setups, again (there's another thread somehwere) i'd like to add a couple more observations that annoy me.

1) lots of monitors equates to lots of light in your face. obvious really. but i never thought about it until my eyes starting aching. so, main monitor is now "normal" brightness and the other three are set to be quite dark. if your room is well illuminated then i doubt the monitor brightness will be an issue; i'm sat in a dark room, so having four "normal" bright monitors is similar to staring into a light bulb all day, i.e. not very clever.

2) you may think it's "economically viable" to buy a multi-monitor setup these days. I bought a Samsung 24" monitor a few days ago for about £200 (about $300). A good price but you get what you pay for. This is a decent monitor but the viewing angles aren't brilliant. if you had several of these you'd have to fix your head just in the right place to get the best viewing angle from each screen.

my top monitor is similar; cheap, poor viewing angles. i've had to angle this top monitor at quite an extreme angle so it isn't annoying to view. if it were angled perfectly vertical then looking at it from below would make it appear quite dark with terrible contrast.

on the other hand my Ezio 24" monitor has the best viewing angles i've ever seen, but that cost over £1000 (over $1500). you could place this at any height or angle and it would look perfect. i'm sure such a monitor would cost less nowadays; it just demonstrates there is still a difference between the budget and high end screens.

no surprise really, but you can be assured that multi-monitor setups in professional use (medical, whatever) are going to have the best monitors with unlimited budgets to play with. and that makes perfect sense when you see the terrible viewing angles that come with the cheaper screens.

Josh:

nudone:
people with money to burn on screens and then have the cheapest mouse and keyboard - and mouse mat.

no doubt it impresses the neighbours when they visit. nothing more important than that.

Renegade:
Good points nudone.

I used to buy mid-range CRTs well into the LCD revolution because they had better color then. Now, I don't do any graphic work that needs any real degree of precision, so if it displays well enough for text, it's good enough. Eye-strain is my only concern. But I've fixed that with my desk facing a window and the monitors fairly far back.

A friend of mine has an SGI monitor that works beautifully. It's something like 10 years old or so now, but it's crystal clear. He does FOREX on it. :)

I threw out 5 CRTs when I moved from Korea, but only 3 were really any good. 1 of them was a very good flat panel CRT. But now, looking around, there basically are no CRTs available anymore. Nobody makes them. Makes me feel a tad old... But I'm not. NOT, I say! NOT~! :P :) :D

I still want that lovely 6-panel...

cranioscopical:
These days I use 2 side-by-side 27" (1920 x 1200) monitors. That's a physical run of 4 feet by 16 inches.
That gives me somewhat over four US-letter-size pages, portrait, at actual size, which is important to me as I still work with physical documents
I can see all of what I want without any significant head movement (except for nodding off occasionally).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version