ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Virtual Machine Tool

A Gift from VMWare

<< < (5/6) > >>

Scott:
One cool thing is that if you don't use NAT or DHCP (inside VMware Workstation), those extra services are automatically disabled on the host.  You have to disable all the NAT/DHCP stuff though, of course.

Should start a new thread probably.  I hate doing that though.

One word of warning to people who might happen to be using headphones while launching a guest OS in VMware Workstation:

TAKE THE HEADPHONES OFF FIRST!

Yes, it really does deserve that much emphasis.  I found out the hard way that the guest OS changes the host volume by default (unfortunately for me, it made the volume go up quite drastcially).  These articles explain how to prevent this from happening:

http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=980
http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=853

mouser:
nice find about the faq and volume - yep that happens to me every time.
hard to say who jumps more when the volume change occurs, me or the cat.
i'll try that fix.

Scott:
Yeah, I made a point of finding that answer (it's really just one answer; the two FAQ articles say basically the same thing).  If I didn't find one, I would've done whatever I had to in search of an answer!  :)

The volume is changed when the guest OS starts, and when it shuts down.

Baseman:
I downloaded a trial(30day) VMware workstation and have found it to be very useful for us Beta testers and developers...Only disapointment is the 30 day trial expires and I cannot afford to buy the program from S.A. because it works out so expensive...I will just have to do without maybe with a bit of luck I'll be able to afford it next year...Brlliant program to work with...Keep up the good work VMware...

mouser:
just a reminder that we tend to give out vmware as a reward to people who write full reviews :)
- but on the other hand given the amount of work involved in writing a full review, it might be faster to get a part time job to save up for vmware   :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version