ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

18 Monospace fonts comparison screenshot

<< < (11/13) > >>

housetier:
One style to guide them
One glyph to accent them
One face to see them
and, with their hinting, print them.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

harmonv:
Humm, playing a bit with Inconsolatas. It gets way too smudgy when any kind of font smoothing is on (cleartype or not). At 12pt, the l (lowercase L) is too big/fat/wide compared to the rest of the characters, and 10pt it's a bit too small. Other sizes don't work very well (it scales like crap, although font smoothing makes that less appearant). And for some reason, Incosolatas doesn't show up in Notepad++, so I was forced to test it in notepad :-s

Droid Sans Mono seems to be okay, but at 10pt and a 768px-height Notepad++ window, I lose 6 lines of text compared to 10pt Dina. Also, Italic text with Droid is a bit smudgy compared to Dina's �ber-crispness.

Same with Envy Code R, it doesn't work very well at 10pt, some characters are a bit too thin and some a bit too heavy, and I again lose around 6 lines of text.

It should be noted that I use "standard" font smoothing and not cleartype, cleartype is so smudgy and I simply can't stand it, means more strain on my wacko eyes, which is kinda the opposite as to what cleartype is supposed to do? :). And I work at 10pt not 8pt, I guess my eyesight is going bad...

Simply haven't found any font that works as well as Dina for coding and other monospace use.

Thanks for the links, though :)
-f0dder (February 08, 2008, 08:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Re: Envy Code R
It is not strictly a ClearType font but without CT turned on, the diagonal lines look fat and fuzzy.

RE: Inconsolata and Notepad++
It shows up in Notepad++ just fine for me.  It is a ClearType only font.   MS-Consolas looks awful too with CT off.  ClearType is really only for LCD screens. 
While changing font sizes in Notepad++ just now with Inconsolata I noticed the line spacing doesn't change for sizes 12 and below... which creates a lot of vertical whitespace.

With Dina, I have the opposite problem as you.  The editors i've tried won't recognize Dina's old .FON format.  (MS) Notepad sees it and -- whoa -- it its huge compared to 8-pt truetype fonts.  (That solves one curiosity -- I was beginning to wonder if Mouser _was_ that cat with telescoping vision from Disney's "Lady and the Tramp".  I *think* that's the right flick.)

Hmm.  Ok.  After quitting Notepad++ and reset font smoothing from ClearType to standard.  Then fired up Notepad++ again.  It now lists Dina and (old) Courier (.FON files) but the linespacing problem I talked about with Inconsolata is affecting these fonts too. 
Is this a Notepad++ problem or a font rendering gotcha or perhaps the lack of information in the .FON file itself.?

f0dder:
Btw, I do have a LCD/TFT screen (two of them actually) - I just can't stand cleartype. Regular font smoothing is okay for most apps, though. But for some reason, I haven't found anything I can tolerate for coding, except Dina...

Hm, Inconsolatas does show up in NP++ after I rebooted my system today, weirdness.

Dunno if it's a NP++ or font or... whatever... problem. Time to go shopping :)

harmonv:
I found the problem -- Idiot Operator Error  :-[ In NP++ i had Settings > Styler Config > Brace Highlight Style > Font Size = 12.  Reseting it to blank was the cure.
Had a look at Andale Mono again -- very similar to Dina but puts a couple more lines on screen.

tomos:
dont know if there's anything new here (not being a programmer..)

Top 10 Programming Fonts 17 May 2009

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version