ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

18 Monospace fonts comparison screenshot

<< < (10/13) > >>

harmonv:
@Kalos
If you are still looking for a Greek monospaced font for your programming needs check out the open source DejaVu fonts.  They've extended the Bitstream family of fonts with Unicode characters for Latin, Greek and Cyrillic.

As for me, i've been using Lucida Console for a while now and been happy with it since the letter forms are so well done.  Lately i've been looking at fonts and have downloaded quite a few  -- the Bitsteam Vera Sans, DejaVu, and Liberation families (Serif, Sans & Mono) plus Proggy clean, Crisp, Dina, ProFont, Monaco, Anonymous, Inconsolata, Envy Code R, and Droid Sans Mono. 

For anyone looking for a new font, those last three fonts mentioned should draw some serious consideration. 
* Inconsolata is a free knockoff of MS's Consolas ClearType font.
* Droid was released only a couple months ago, but its one of the best mono fonts you'll find anywhere.
* Envy Code R is Damian Guard's first scalable font and looks like a Pragmata Killer.  If you want a good-looking scalable font that lets you pack more characters per line onto the screen AND the idea of saving 108 bucks appeals to you, check it out.

After viewing at the screenshot of Lucida Sans Typewriter I may have to get that one for comparison.

f0dder:
harmonv: links, please! :)

harmonv:
Sorry for the delay fodder.  Here ya go...

Inconsolata. 
http://www.ghostscript.com/~raph/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html
This one my even seduce Mouser away from Dina as it packs a lot of text on screen.

Droid Sans Mono.
http://damieng.com/blog/2007/11/14/droid-sans-mono-great-coding-font
Damien's blog has a great screen shot and link to the font.

Envy Code R
http://damieng.com/blog/2007/08/19/envy-code-r-preview-6-released-with-visual-studio-italics
Check out his Humane theme for visual studio.  The color scheme is very easy to look at for hours.
I've been using very similar colors after doing some digging into what colors enhance readability.

Again my apology for take 4 days to reply.
Take care,
  -- Harmon

mouser:
Nice finds harmonv..
Inconsolata looks particularly nice to my eyes.

But for 8pt programming, i still say nothing beats Dina.

f0dder:
Humm, playing a bit with Inconsolatas. It gets way too smudgy when any kind of font smoothing is on (cleartype or not). At 12pt, the l (lowercase L) is too big/fat/wide compared to the rest of the characters, and 10pt it's a bit too small. Other sizes don't work very well (it scales like crap, although font smoothing makes that less appearant). And for some reason, Incosolatas doesn't show up in Notepad++, so I was forced to test it in notepad :-s

Droid Sans Mono seems to be okay, but at 10pt and a 768px-height Notepad++ window, I lose 6 lines of text compared to 10pt Dina. Also, Italic text with Droid is a bit smudgy compared to Dina's �ber-crispness.

Same with Envy Code R, it doesn't work very well at 10pt, some characters are a bit too thin and some a bit too heavy, and I again lose around 6 lines of text.

It should be noted that I use "standard" font smoothing and not cleartype, cleartype is so smudgy and I simply can't stand it, means more strain on my wacko eyes, which is kinda the opposite as to what cleartype is supposed to do? :). And I work at 10pt not 8pt, I guess my eyesight is going bad...

Simply haven't found any font that works as well as Dina for coding and other monospace use.

Thanks for the links, though :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version