ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple, Champion of Censorship

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
Sigh... These goons never cease to provide me with lots of material to rant about...

http://kewlaid.net/2010/12/22/apple-champion-of-censorship-yet-again/

Apple has come out as a champion of censorship and hero to fascists everywhere yet again as it pulls an independently produced Wikileaks application from its app store.

In a dazzling display of brilliant courage and fortitude, Apple stood up to rebel scum and free-thinkers everywhere, bravely pulling Igor Barinov’s “Wikileaks App” and thwarting villains and terrorists worldwide, letting you sleep easier at night knowing that the iPhone platform is yet again protected from the forces of darkness.

--- End quote ---

Eóin:
I don't doubt Apple would pull a genuine Wikileaks app if one were present. But this app was just someone cheaply, and I would say dishonestly, cashing in on the hype.

"Wikileaks App" was a paid app ($1.99) which did nothing more than present the Wikileaks Twitter feed and website – both of which can of course still be seen by iDevice users with sufficient energy to activate their browser and/or Twitter platform of choice, RSS app etc.

[snip]

There is no indication that any of the money will go to Wikileaks, or to Bradley Manning – the junior US soldier who allegedly supplied the site with almost everything of interest it has ever published.-http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/21/wikileaks_app_removed/
--- End quote ---

Renegade:
I don't doubt Apple would pull a genuine Wikileaks app if one were present. But this app was just someone cheaply, and I would say dishonestly, cashing in on the hype.

"Wikileaks App" was a paid app ($1.99) which did nothing more than present the Wikileaks Twitter feed and website – both of which can of course still be seen by iDevice users with sufficient energy to activate their browser and/or Twitter platform of choice, RSS app etc.

[snip]

There is no indication that any of the money will go to Wikileaks, or to Bradley Manning – the junior US soldier who allegedly supplied the site with almost everything of interest it has ever published.-http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/21/wikileaks_app_removed/
--- End quote ---
-Eóin (December 22, 2010, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

How is it any different from newspapers that use Wikileaks content for profit?

Eóin:
It's not I suppose. Raw duplication of content, especially when you profit from it, is pretty dishonest, even if not illegal.

At least newspapers usually edit and utterly misrepresent or misquote the original source ;)

Renegade:
It's not I suppose. Raw duplication of content, especially when you profit from it, is pretty dishonest, even if not illegal.

At least newspapers usually edit and utterly misrepresent or misquote the original source ;)
-Eóin (December 22, 2010, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha~!

The point of Wikileaks is information dissemination, and I think the Wikileaks app is perfectly in line with that objective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version