ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Clipboard Help+Spell - Top Priority Requests for 2011

<< < (7/14) > >>

oblivion:
What doesn't work with ArsClip?  It's always worked OK for me on editors.  Just had a very quick check with an older version of Jarte free; looks like plain text is pasted OK, but RTF might not be.  Had mixed results doing the same thing with Softmaker Textmaker, where font effects appeared to be preserved, but size wasn't.-rjbull (February 26, 2011, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

It complained, with everything I tried, that it couldn't work out where to paste the text. (Can't remember the exact error, but it offers to -- and does -- paste to the clipboard, it just can't find the window to paste into.

I assume this is an issue with later versions of Windows than XP, as an XP machine I've used ArsClip on for ages -- well, probably a couple of years, now -- has never given me a problem. The machine I was using for this is a Vista box, and I have a Netbook with Win7 Starter that has similar issues.

I think Jarte is an extended version that uses the WordPad engine, that is, more features, and more still in the payware version.
-rjbull (February 26, 2011, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the one. Small, lightweight, fast and effective.

I did my usual thing with this -- as with most free software I use -- although I didn't need (and don't use) the extra features, I bought the payware version anyway. Gotta keep the authors of good software in business, even if it's only in a small way!

If you're doing what I think you're doing, you might be better off with a dedicated text expander/completer/corrector.  I currently use Typing Assistant (payware).  The one most often recommended is Phrase Express, which has both free-for-personal-use and payware versions.  Here on DC, timns is developing Auspex, see the Timns Apps sub-board.  There are others too, mentioned in several DC threads.
--- End quote ---

I tried Phraseexpress a couple of years back -- I either didn't get on with it or it didn't work in a way I found useful, can't recall now. Perhaps I should take another look.

But I have become a big fan of portable apps. Anything like that, I want my clipboard to be able to travel with me. :)

Another thought: if you have repetitive pasting of boilerplate clips to do, you might want to look at another of mouser's programs, The Form Letter Machine.
--- End quote ---

I looked at that. Not the sort of thing I do -- but if it was, I'd be using it! It looks excellent.

Thanks for all the suggestions, anyway -- I shall do some more investigating (in between nagging mouser to keep improving CHS!)

--bests, Tim

rjbull:
[ArsClip] complained, with everything I tried, that it couldn't work out where to paste the text. (Can't remember the exact error, but it offers to -- and does -- paste to the clipboard, it just can't find the window to paste into.
[...]
I assume this is an issue with later versions of Windows than XP, as an XP machine I've used ArsClip on for ages -- well, probably a couple of years, now -- has never given me a problem. The machine I was using for this is a Vista box, and I have a Netbook with Win7 Starter that has similar issues.-oblivion (February 27, 2011, 02:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Strange.  Just for you  ;)  I updated my USB stick(s) from Jarte 3.4 portable to 4.3 portable.  ArsClip worked fine with both versions, at least with plain text, I haven't tried again with RTF.  I'm using the latest ArsClip Beta, 3.1.5 build 4031, which is on Joe's Web site as acv315-t9.zip.  OS is Vista Home Premium.

[Jarte]'s the one. Small, lightweight, fast and effective.

I did my usual thing with this -- as with most free software I use -- although I didn't need (and don't use) the extra features, I bought the payware version anyway. Gotta keep the authors of good software in business, even if it's only in a small way!
--- End quote ---

Good for you!  I don't use word processors much, mostly editors.  But on the face of it, it's hard to see why it's worth paying more for an RTF WP.  PolyEdit is nice, but development is glacially slow.

If you're doing what I think you're doing, you might be better off with a dedicated text expander/completer/corrector.-rjbull (February 26, 2011, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried Phraseexpress a couple of years back -- I either didn't get on with it or it didn't work in a way I found useful, can't recall now. Perhaps I should take another look.

But I have become a big fan of portable apps. Anything like that, I want my clipboard to be able to travel with me.
--- End quote ---

All those I mentioned have portable versions  :)

oblivion:
Strange.  Just for you  ;)  I updated my USB stick(s) from Jarte 3.4 portable to 4.3 portable.  ArsClip worked fine with both versions, at least with plain text, I haven't tried again with RTF.  I'm using the latest ArsClip Beta, 3.1.5 build 4031, which is on Joe's Web site as acv315-t9.zip.  OS is Vista Home Premium.-rjbull (February 27, 2011, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh dear. Same here, thoughout. That means the Gremlins are doing it. I HATE that.

...hang on, Jarte does clipboard monitoring. I wonder if it's that that's interfering... but then, it'd probably cause CHS to have problems, and it doesn't.

Mouser? There's a CHS option called Window Watching that defaults to on and that I thought might be the reason CHS worked and ArsClip didn't. Is it doing anything hugely clever that other, similar, programs might not?

I am now Proper Mystified. (I hate that too!)

It's going to turn out to be something stupid I've done, I expect. (And I especially hate that!)

Good for you!  I don't use word processors much, mostly editors.  But on the face of it, it's hard to see why it's worth paying more for an RTF WP.-rjbull (February 27, 2011, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

People want something that can knit, bake a good rice pudding and cycle up the curtains as well as put words on paper, it seems.

I can see the justification for DTP for some people, some of the time -- but then, I've been using DTP software for outputting documents where I wanted much more precise control of things than most WPs can provide for many, many years. (1989 might have been my first DTP package. That makes me feel suddenly very old.) But you're right -- most people who want WP think Word instantly, and there's absolutely no good reason for it except Microsoft's marketing machine, most of the time.

All those I mentioned have portable versions  :)
-rjbull (February 27, 2011, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

That told me  ;D

Okay, okay, I'll try again. But I still want to make CHS work better for me, because I'm arrogant enough to believe that if it works better for me, it'll work better for everyone else too. Nonsense, of course, but I haven't been a techie for all this time without having come to the conclusion that I'm right about everything most of the time.  ;)

-- bests, Tim

rjbull:
Oh dear. Same here, thoughout. That means the Gremlins are doing it. I HATE that.

...hang on, Jarte does clipboard monitoring. I wonder if it's that that's interfering... but then, it'd probably cause CHS to have problems, and it doesn't.-oblivion (February 27, 2011, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Depending on your OS, maybe you had a Clipboard Chain Break?  Both ArsClip and CHS have ways of detecting that.  E.g., ArsClip Web Help:
Automatic clipboard chain break detection

UPDATE: Vista users can and should disable chain break detection, since
breaks are no longer present on the Vista operating system.

Unfortunately, any program can mess up the "clipboard chain", because it is
left up to the program to correctly handle clipboard messages. ArsClip has
a workaround for this. It checks the contents of the clipboard every 1
minute to make sure that it was automatically notified of the current items
arrival. If it wasn't, it will display an error message, and then
transparently fix any future problems this session without bugging you.
--- End quote ---
It's possible that either ArsClip or CHS had fixed things when you tried again.

People want something that can knit, bake a good rice pudding and cycle up the curtains as well as put words on paper, it seems.
--- End quote ---

Souns like you're British  ;)  If you're old enough to remember Fidonet, the standing joke about Terminate was the forthcoming dishwasher interface...

(1989 might have been my first DTP package. That makes me feel suddenly very old.)
--- End quote ---

So you are old enough  :D  Remember GEM?  :)

I still want to make CHS work better for me, because I'm arrogant enough to believe that if it works better for me, it'll work better for everyone else too.
--- End quote ---

Welcome to the Moderately Honourable Brotherhood of Beta Testers, Suggestion Makers and Software Pesterers  :)

Going back to longish words I knew I was going to be typing repeatedly -- and set a shortcut up to bring up favourites to make them easier to get at quickly.
--- End quote ---

If you don't want to use one of the text expanders, you might like to look at two freeware hotkey programs, HotKeyz and HotKeyP.  Both allow you to set just one hotkey which will pop up a menu of texts, or in HotKeyz case, other things as well.  The images are first, HotKeyP, and second, HotKeyz.

Humph.  Going too far off topic  :(  Apologies, mouser.

oblivion:
Depending on your OS, maybe you had a Clipboard Chain Break?  Both ArsClip and CHS have ways of detecting that.  E.g., ArsClip Web Help:
Automatic clipboard chain break detection

--- End quote ---
-rjbull (March 03, 2011, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe, is as far as I'll go. In my experience, ArsClip reports breaks as well as attempting to deal with them when they occur -- and what was happening was that it was failing to work out where to paste clips, and telling me so.

I'm getting used to CHS's way of doing things, though, and Mouser's ideas about providing ordering facilities I think will bear useful fruit.

--- End quote ---

Souns like you're British  ;)  If you're old enough to remember Fidonet, the standing joke about Terminate was the forthcoming dishwasher interface...
--- End quote ---

I AM British. Don't hold it against me.

As far as Terminate's concerned, I remember it, I even used it, but I preferred Telix for comms. Fidonet -- well, I was 2:25/108 up until about 2003, when the computer it ran on suffered a fatal hard disk failure, resulting in the last known in-the-wild copy of DESQview breathing its last. (My BBS was called "Oblivion and You" and the "Oblivion" bit follows me around as it's generally the basis of my username on various fora around the place. Like here.  :)

(1989 might have been my first DTP package. That makes me feel suddenly very old.)
--- End quote ---

So you are old enough  :D  Remember GEM?  :)
--- End quote ---

That's what it ran under. I've got close a couple of times, but I've never actually had to use a Mac in anger, which was the only other option for DTP, back then. (I saw a Mac for the first time in about 1984. I called it an executive toy. For many years, I stood by that description!)

Welcome to the Moderately Honourable Brotherhood of Beta Testers, Suggestion Makers and Software Pesterers  :)
--- End quote ---

Thanks -- although I think it's worth concentrating on the "moderately" in its title.  :D

Humph.  Going too far off topic  :(  Apologies, mouser.
--- End quote ---

Agreed. Perhaps we should take our reminiscences somewhere more general?

--bests, Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version